Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Trigg Rib Shigg from "BBQ Pitmasters"

Trigg Rib Shigg from "BBQ Pitmasters"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm
Tosprops medium
medium

Johnny Trigg allowed the "BBQ Pitmasters" filming cameras to capture some of his process and recipe for cooking award winning ribs. I studied the footage of Trigg from the show to pick up as many tips as I could. Here is what I discovered.

BTW – I don’t think that this is really shigging. Shigging is the act of entering one’s cook site with the intent to steal their processes. This is just a summary of the info Johnny Trigg shared on the show .

According to Trigg, the first thing to know about BBQ is that it is redneck cooking.

When it comes to ribs, spares have more meat and make a better presentation. The meat is very important. Trigg looks for ribs with a lot of fat. Lean ribs are tough and flavorless. There is a lot of marbling in the ribs he chooses. He cooks St. Louis cut ribs. He removes the membrane and trims the back of the ribs really close to the bone..

Trigg uses a mystery rub he keeps in a brown unlabeled dispenser. BTW - He uses Lawry's seasoning salt on Pork butts. Trigg mentioned that he doesn't make his own rubs. He buys them. He didn't specify which ones he uses.

He also uses coarsely ground black pepper.

Trigg cooks the ribs meat side up at around 275 degrees. He sprays ribs with apple juice during the cooking process.

He never specified the amount of time he cooks them before foiling them but it’s probably between 2 and 3 hours.

Trigg foils his ribs. He makes a mixture containing at least the following: honey, brown sugar, Tiger Sauce, onion powder, and Squeeze Parkay.

First, he puts the ingredients on the foil.

Here, you can see the Tiger Sauce in the background.

Here is the honey, handful of brown sugar, onion powder, Parkay, and Tiger Sauce mixture.

Trigg places the ribs in the mixture meat side down.

He then puts the same ingredients on the back of the ribs.

Here is the Squeeze Parkay going on.

More brown sugar.

More honey.

Onion powder.

He wraps in foil, presumably two layers.

Puts the ribs back in the smoker meat side down.

Trigg glazes his ribs. See the saucepan in the pic? The only thing Trigg was cooking that day was ribs. Paul, who claims to cook "Trigg Ribs" is seen glazing his ribs too.

Before Paul was trained by Trigg, this is what he says he was told Trigg uses for his glaze.

Here is Paul, after being trained by Trigg, doctoring up the glaze.

When the glaze sets and the ribs have reached the desired tenderness, he takes them in to be sliced. BTW - Trigg uses a toothpick to check for tenderness.

He uses an electric knife to cut them.

He presents them on a bed of lettuce.

What Trigg didn’t share was his skill. If you try this and don’t have the same results Trigg has had, don’t be surprised.
Last edited by Tosprops on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB - For Sale
Weber 18" WSM
UDS
Bubba Keg
KCBS CBJ

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm
brew city bbqer medium-rare
medium-rare

did a variation of these yesterday, skipped the honey and had no tiger sauce so i improvised with a spicey hot sauce. best ribs i've ever done, and i've done some good ribs. went with a diff. sauce which was sweeter than i usually use so next time i will go back to my tried and true open pit. all in all, they were great.
Brinkmann Sportsmens' Smoke-n-Grill WSM
2 Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 Kettle Grills
CG Super Pro w/ SFB

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Thanks for breaking this down.

Any advantage for using Parkay rather than butter? Or maybe another oil like olive or peanut?

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 am
TSMFLORIDA well done
well done

That is a lot of detail. Thanks for the info.
Ted
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
22" Vertical Smoker
Pro Q cold smoke generator
BBQ grillware charcoal grille

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 am
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

smokeybeaver wrote:
Thanks for breaking this down.

Any advantage for using Parkay rather than butter? Or maybe another oil like olive or peanut?

You want a buttery flavor and Parkay is liquid. I think he's just making it easy. Just dice the butter and put on the ribs before the honey, brown sugar and whatever else you use, it'll melt before you finish crimping the foil shut.

I'm sure using an oil that's smooth and buttery would work... saw some macadamia nut oil in a local market the other day....
Hi, I'm James.

Char-Griller Super Pro
55 gallon UDS

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 am
JD_Smokes well done
well done

I know we had discussed these a little previously, but that is a great post detailing out pretty much step by step process. Great job at breaking it down and for sharing. Definitely not "shigging". You can't steal something that was given away. :)
Eating meat is murder.....mmmm, tasty, tasty murder.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 am
naterea medium
medium

What is the "Tiger sauce mixture"----is that the same as the dry rub?
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 pm
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

naterea wrote:
What is the "Tiger sauce mixture"----is that the same as the dry rub?

It's an actual brand of sauce. A sweet hot sauce. Google it, it's pretty common, I guess. I haven't tried it yet, but really want to. :D
Hi, I'm James.

Char-Griller Super Pro
55 gallon UDS

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 pm
naterea medium
medium

55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:24 pm
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

I believe so. That website has a lot of really cool stuff, my wallet needs me to wear web blinders....
Hi, I'm James.

Char-Griller Super Pro
55 gallon UDS

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Yes, that's it.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:04 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

BTW, I did a little quick research and realized that a ton of internet sites are charging higher prices for Tiger Sauce plus shipping.

Go here to buy it online if you can't get it locally: http://www.luzianne.com/try-me-sauces-a ... m-123.html

That site is the distribution point from the manufacturer, not some grossly inflated middle man. Of course one bottle will be expensive to ship, but this is the best deal I have found (and they don't force you into three, six, or twelve bottle purchases). So you can actually buy one of each of several kinds and save on shipping since the big hit is on the first item and additional items are only small increments.

Oh, and they have many other products besides the Try Me sauces: http://www.luzianne.com/ourproducts.php

Note: I can't speak to how good their other prices are since I didn't compare those in much depth, but it seems like they are at least competitive if not better than most. So at least look at these before buying elsewhere and you may save some bucks.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:25 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fortunately my local supermarkets all stock Tiger Sauce. It's great stuff and I keep a bottle or two at hand at all times. Definitely worth trying if you haven't already - and so are some of the other sauces under the Try Me brand.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 pm
Tosprops medium
medium

Someone mentioned the other day that they like TS on popcorn. I never thought about putting hot sauce on popcorn. Seems like it would be too messy besides the other side effects.
Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB - For Sale
Weber 18" WSM
UDS
Bubba Keg
KCBS CBJ

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm
MitchSchaft medium-well
medium-well

Excellent job!
But I shy away from the manmade "butter". I will never buy margarine.

Next

Return to General Discussion