Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Books on Q-joint reviews???

Books on Q-joint reviews???

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Anyone out there know of any really good books relating to reviews of barbecue restaurants???

I've read the five books devoted to Q-joints in North Carolina, but wondered if there are other really good books on the subject in general and/or the Q-joints in another particular state in general.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:19 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Did the books you read on NC include Kent's Carolina Barbecue book?
Eating meat is murder.....mmmm, tasty, tasty murder.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

JD_Smokes wrote:
Did the books you read on NC include Kent's Carolina Barbecue book?

Hey JD!

Yes, "Kent's Carolina Barbecue Book: Carolina barbecue restaurant reviews, recipes, history, culture, more" by H. Kent Craig is one of the five. The others are:

"Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue" by John Shelton Reed and Dale Volberg Reed

"The Best Tar Heel Barbecue: Manteo to Murphy" by Jim Early

"North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored By Time" by Bob Garner

"Bob Garner's Guide to North Carolina Barbecue" by Bob Garner

All of these books are enjoyable reads and interesting, but "Holy Smoke" is GREAT! It is full of TONS of good barbecue information, not only for North Carolina, but barbecue in general! Lots of barbecue trivia!

I'l hoping that there are other books similar out there that someone might know of on bar becue joints anywhere. I've also got "BBQ Joints: Stories and Secret Recipes from the Barbeque Belt" by David Gelin, but I haven't started reading that one yet.

If anyone knows of any other Q-joint reviews or books - PLEASE let me know.
Thanks!!!

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:02 am
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Here are a couple of others:

Real Barbecue: The Classic Barbecue Guide to the Best Joints Across the USA --- with Recipes, Porklore, and More!
by Vince Staten

It's a few years old though.

and
BBQ Joints: Stories and Secret Recipes from the Barbeque Belt
by David Gelin

I can't speak to the quality of the books personally, but the first had 5 stars with one review and the last had 4.5 stars with nine reviews.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks JD!!!

I'll definitely check out the Vince Staten book! I've got the other, but haven't gotten too far into it yet. I definitely appreciate the information!

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 am

Is anyone out there compiling a book or other review document/website on Q-joints that they have visited and rated?

I have eaten at and reviewed 248 Q-joints in North Carolina so far and have well over 100 more to visit in my quest to find the "perfect Q" in NC.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing similar anywhere else???

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:31 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
I have eaten at and reviewed 248 Q-joints in North Carolina so far and have well over 100 more to visit in my quest to find the "perfect Q" in NC.

I'm not doing anything like that, but it's a great idea. Are you publishing your reviews online somewhere like a blog or anything that we can read?

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Unfortunately, not yet. I've got plans for that endeavor, but just haven't come up with the knowledge, time, and money to do a website yet.

Right now I'm just doing research - and eating LOTS of Q in the process!!!

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:08 am

JD_Smokes wrote:
Are you publishing your reviews online somewhere like a blog or anything that we can read?

If anyone is interested in my reviews I'd be happy to send an attachment to an email. Just send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Send to: ave12369@hotmail.com

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 am
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
Unfortunately, not yet. I've got plans for that endeavor, but just haven't come up with the knowledge, time, and money to do a website yet.

Right now I'm just doing research - and eating LOTS of Q in the process!!!

You could always do a blog. The interfaces are pretty simple, it won't have to cost you anything (https://www.blogger.com/start), and you only need to update it when you have time.

Anyway, that link is to Blogger which is through Google and is free.

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 am
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
If anyone is interested in my reviews I'd be happy to send an attachment to an email. Just send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

My wife is actually from NC. Winston-Salem area (inside the Triad), so I'd definitely be interested in your reviews. We go back from time to time to visit and if I'm going to be eating BBQ on the road I might as well target the good places. :D e-mail on the way.

Return to Best BBQ Joint