Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking Turkey time?

Smoking Turkey time?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:35 pm
dmcdtc rare
rare

I am smoking (with apple wood) a 16 to 20 pound turkey and concerned about how long it will take. In your book it says it'll take approxiamtely 3 hours for a 12 pound Turkey. I have a horizontal smoker and am using chunk charwood. Any ideas how to guage how log it will take?

p.s. How to Grill book is the best grilling book I've ever come across.

Dennis

Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:11 pm

I've never done one myself, yet (will this upcoming holiday) but I've read several places to plan about 30min per pound of bird. That seems to double what you stated with the 3hr/12lb bird...Best to estimate long, and go by the internal temp of the bird.

Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:20 am
dkirn well done
well done

30 minutes per pound at 225-250 degrees is a good starting place, however you need to check the internal temp with a thermometer to know for sure since you conditions may not be constant

Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:50 am

I will second dkirn's advice of 30 minutes per pound. Just be aware that a 12 pound turkey is 6 to 7 hours, not 3 hours. I plan a good 9 hours for that size of turkey give the variation in smoke temperature and that you want to let the bird rest at least 30 minutes before carving.

Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:50 am

I will second dkirn's advice of 30 minutes per pound. Just be aware that a 12 pound turkey is 6 to 7 hours, not 3 hours. I plan a good 9 hours for that size of turkey give the variation in smoke temperature and that you want to let the bird rest at least 30 minutes before carving.

Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:46 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

To quote Steve from a recent show, "Low, Slow, Smokey" Keep your temp los like was said and keep plenty of wood smoke. If you don't want as much of a smokey flavor by all means bring the temp up a bit and reduce the cooking time.

Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

The wife gave our bird to another family member to cook because they were making the dressing and wanted the drippings.

I just installed a 30" double oven with convection for her and thought that she would want to use it for the turkey. I wanted to smoke it ... but she had the new ovens! Who'd knew! I'll just have to do another Coke Can Chicken since there will already be a "baked" and a fried turkey on Thanksgiving Day.

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:23 pm

Just did a 12 1/2 pound whole turkey this past Saturday on an upright smoker. Did the over night rub and all - smoker temp 215 - 250 throughout process. Took 6 hours for the internal breast temp to reach 179. Charcoal with lots of hickory first 4 hours - hardwood coals
( shoveled from the woodstove) the last 2 hours,

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:06 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

But Levi how did it turn out??
What did you rub it with?
Was it good?

The Eastern Shore is one of my favorite places in the world, the people, the area, and of course the food!!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:43 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I would be interested in knowing what kinds of rubs that people used on their turkey. On my smoked turkey I simply use salt and pepper after I have coated it with olive oil, but I am looking for some more flavors (especially since I stocked up on the great deals on frozen turkey)

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:25 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

dkrin,

I have found that people like T'Day birds pretty traditional. I use a rub of S&P and some granulated garlic and onion. On other occassions I have added tumeric to the rub. Also goes great on chicken.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:30 am
dkirn well done
well done

I have thought about trying a rub similar to Steven's Basic Barbecue Rub with some hickory wood to see what kind of flavor that adds.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've used Steven's Basic Barbecue Rub with some hickory wood on chicken and I'll bet it would be great on the big bird as well.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:31 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Bob -

Thanks for the response I am going to get it a try shortly

Return to General Discussion