Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wood Pellet Grills

Wood Pellet Grills

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:18 am

Has anyone had any experience with Traeger grills. They use the wood pellets and supposedly monitor the heat by adding pellets automatically. I would like some pros and cons if anyone has any thoughts or experience

Thanks!

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:22 am
Wayne

I believe they are feed with an auger which you have to plug in. So if you loose power your fire goes out. So it’s not as portable unless you are close to an electrical outlet.

Wayne...

Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:46 pm
hoss

I have had a Traeger grill for about three years now. My dad has been using one for seven or eight years now. I am very impressed with the grill. I would not buy any other grill out on the market. The grill does work of an auger that feeds the pellets into a fire box. The standard grill has a thermaostat with tree settings, smoke, medium and high. You can purchase a different themostat that you can dial in the temperature.

Traeger has numerous pellets to choose from. The pellets I commonly use are mesquite, maple, hickory, oak and cherry. They have a few more types of pellets however I have not tried them.

The one down fall to them is power is needed to run the grill. This problm can be solved with a convertor and car battery.

They have numerous sizes to choose from ranging from a tailgate version to ones that you pull around with your truck. Depending on the size of grill they get they can be a bit of a bear to load up and take on a trip. However after tasting the food off of one of these superb grills, I believe that you will think it is worth the extra hassle. I know my family does.

Traeger's office is in Mt. Angel, OR and is a family owned bussines. I live not to far from the office and make frequent trips over there. The sales staff is some of the nicest people you will meet and are always willing to bend over backwards to help you out if you have any questions.

I believe there web-site is www.traeger.com

I would would recomended a traeger grill to anyone. I have numerous friends that have them and they are all equally sattisfied withthese grills, like my family is. I hope this helps you in what you are trying to find out about Traeger grills.

Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:52 pm
hoss

Sorry about the wrong address. You can find their grills at www.traegergrills.com

Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:27 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Unless I'm way off base, these grills have no way to cook with indirect heat. That rules out whole chickens, roasts and ribs and many other recipes. If all you want to do is hot doge, hambergers, steaks and chicken parts (not quarters or halves,) go for it. The lack of indirect cooking is a disqualifying factor for me.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:47 pm
Hoss

I hate to tell you guys but you have some misconceptions about the Traeger Grills. I have used numerous recipes out of the Barbeque Bible Barbeque USA and How To Grill on my grill, and they were not just hotdogs and hamburgers. I do beer can chicken numerous times a month. Around the holidays I barbeque whole turkeys on it. I will commonly smoke them for eight to ten hours and finish coooking them on high. The first one I cooked I didnt think it was done, even though my thermometer said it was, the smoke ring had penetrated so far into the meat giving it a nice pink color. The turkeys are soaked in a brine over nigth and sprayed with apple juice and Jack Daniels during the smoking and cooking process. The Traeger grill has yielded the juciest and tastiest turkeys I have ever had around the holidays, they even beat my grandmother's efforts. This last weekend I did spare ribs on my grill and I was very satisfied with them. My father and I have cooked numerous roasts on these grills over the years and have never been let down.

I will admit you can not follow the recipes in the Barbeque Bible, Barbeque USA and How To Grill however they are easily modified to get superb results off of these grills. Traeger also sells a cook book specificaly for their grills. The cook book is excelent and even gives recomendations on what type of pelllets to use. When you buy one of their grills they even give you a sample section of the recipe book to get you under way.

Another website to check about these grills is www.traegerindustries.com

Once again I recomend a Traeger to anyone in the market for a new grill, they will not be disapointed with the results that this grill wil yield!

Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:49 pm

I was just reading the post on the Traeger grills and had a few comments. Traeger grills are actually always indirect cooking. There is a slanted steel plate under the grids that act as a buffer to the flame and it directs the drippings to a channel which goes to a small bucket on the outside of the grill. I retired my Kingsford Pro charcoal grill when I bought my Traeger in June. It does take some getting use to. I had to learn not to open the lid as much as I did with the charcoal grill. My wife was having a hard time when I converted over but she is coming around now. I have used it several times to smoke Pulled Pork which has been a favorite of the family. This takes about 20 hours. My new thing is to grill meat loaf with maple pellets! You just slap it on the grill, no pan.

I have had the power go out on me in the middle of July, thankfully I saved the charcoal grill.

I would recommend a Traeger grill to anyone who likes to que, the flavor that comes off them is great! I have used mesquite, maple, alder, & hickory pellets. Each one adds something different to what you are grilling.

www.traegerindustries.com - offical Traeger site
www.traegergrills.com - good deals on grills

Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:25 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Before purchasing a proprietary piece of equipment such as this you will need to check out the sources and availability of the pellet fuel. If you are in an area where enough retailers stock the pellets to provide competitive pricing and a supply is always on hand then the Traeger may be the grill for you. However, if you are constantly having to order online to resupply you may want to field a more conventional cooker.

Ronbo rare
rare

Anonymous wrote:
I was just reading the post on the Traeger grills and had a few comments. Traeger grills are actually always indirect cooking. There is a slanted steel plate under the grids that act as a buffer to the flame and it directs the drippings to a channel which goes to a small bucket on the outside of the grill. I retired my Kingsford Pro charcoal grill when I bought my Traeger in June. It does take some getting use to. I had to learn not to open the lid as much as I did with the charcoal grill. My wife was having a hard time when I converted over but she is coming around now. I have used it several times to smoke Pulled Pork which has been a favorite of the family. This takes about 20 hours. My new thing is to grill meat loaf with maple pellets! You just slap it on the grill, no pan.

I have had the power go out on me in the middle of July, thankfully I saved the charcoal grill.

I would recommend a Traeger grill to anyone who likes to que, the flavor that comes off them is great! I have used mesquite, maple, alder, & hickory pellets. Each one adds something different to what you are grilling.

www.traegerindustries.com - offical Traeger site
www.traegergrills.com - good deals on grills

Return to General Discussion