Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 4 meals in 3 hours - Texas BBQ at its best

4 meals in 3 hours - Texas BBQ at its best

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Don Marco well done
well done

Howdy folks...

At the end of my trip to the states, after eggtoberfest and the Jack, i spent a couple of days in Houston, Texas.

Since this was a BBQ trip all over i had to drive the 140 miles to Lockhart to see the old pits and try some real texas BBQ.

Here we go, first Stop : Smittys Market www.smittysmarket.com/

The whole location was awesome.
I ordered some Brisket and a sausage here. No sides at all.

The brisket was very flavourful but not as tender as i was hoping for, but the sausage made up for that. It was really good.

I only ordered a small portion cause i had some more places on my list.

Next Stop : Blacks BBQ - the oldest family owned BBQ Restaurant in Texas www.blacksbbq.com

Had a nice little beef rib, some brisket and a great Jalapeno Sausage here. Brisket was as tender and flavourful as can be and the Beef Rib was out of this world.

After that feast i was invited for a pit tour by the friendly owner.

70 Years old butcher block. Its got a lot of work over the years and got shorter and shorter by the time so they had to add legs to keep a good working height a couple of years ago. I´d give my left nut for a block like that...

I was happy to take a walk after that and finally found Kreuz Market. www.kreuzmarket.com

I wasnt really hungry any more, but sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do Image

So i ordered some Brisket, 2 Spare Ribs and a Jalapeno Sausage.

The Food was great, but not as good as the stuff at Blacks.
The wood pile is a nice sight though.

On my way back to Houston i stopped at the "Luling BBQ" ( damn, i missed the city market) for another jalapeno sausage wich was also very good.

I never had good BBQ like that in any restaurant before and to see those old pits and BBQ joints cooking like decades ago was really worth the trip.

I´ll definately be back to TX next year to have lunch in Lockhart and look for all the other famous BBQ places.

So long,

DM

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 am
Trollby well done
well done

Those places look awesome, I wish my wife didn't have the food allergies so she would be more open to doing trips like that.

Thanks for sharing DM!

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:54 am
outagas well done
well done

I'm glad to see you back Don Marco. I've been looking forward to your reports on your trip to the U.S.

Your photographs are fantastic. That was a worthwhile drive for that barbecue.

Jim
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:48 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Big thanks Don for your great BBQ adventure in Texas!! My regret is that I wasn't tagging along with you samplin' all that delicious que!! 8)
ImageImage

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:23 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

That is one of the most mouth watering,drooling on the key board,tummy rumbling pictorials I've ever seen based on pure BBQ. Seems you enjoyed your tour. Thanks for sharing the pics.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:34 pm
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for the pics!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:56 pm
jmartis well done
well done

I did the same trip minus your last stop for my birthday this year. Lockhart is only a short 35 min away from me and seriously has some of the best BBQ in the world. I think Smitty's is my favorite if I had to pick 8)
Low n Slow - that is the tempo

Large Big Green Egg
CG Super Pro w/ SFB
I'm not religious, but God bless Texas BBQ!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Well Don, it's a shame you weren't a little further north towards Dallas. I would have loved to have joined you. It looks like you had one heck of a time. I am glad you got to sample some of Texas best establishments.

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:18 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent photo essay, DM! Now I'm in BBQ overload..... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Amazing photos! Really nice work. 8)
Blues, Brews and BBQ!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm
outagas well done
well done

"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Great pictorial Don. Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for posting, as I really enjoyed this!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 pm
Griffin well done
well done

That sounds like a great trip. Everytime we head down to my fiance's ranch, we run through Lockhart. We've stopped at Black's and its awesome. the problem is we usually end up leaving Dallas so late that they are usually closed.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

That was an awesome trip report. It's gettin' on to lunch time here and half way down the pics I realized I was salivating. LOL. Those places and their food look amazing. I'm actually bookmarking this thread so I can come back and find the place names/websites. We take RV trips to different areas and if TX comes on the roster again then I have an idea of where we'll be heading. :D
Eating meat is murder.....mmmm, tasty, tasty murder.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:50 pm
jmartis well done
well done

The amount of world famous BBQ places around Austin, Lockhart, Llano, etc is just mind blowing.
Low n Slow - that is the tempo

Large Big Green Egg
CG Super Pro w/ SFB
I'm not religious, but God bless Texas BBQ!

Next

Return to General Discussion