Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion favorite ground meat combination for burgers?

favorite ground meat combination for burgers?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
eon medium
medium

well I bought a burger patty press that costed only $5 which got me interested in trying different meat combinations
I was thinking something like 70% ground top sirloin, 30% ground pork

any suggestions of others to try out?

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:18 am
Mutt medium-rare
medium-rare

You can do that combo but I like to mix a good ground spicy sausage with my hamburger sometimes oh yea thats some good stuff. Mix some ground venison or elk with the burger. Experiment lots of fun.

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My burgers are all beef but occasionally I like to mix shredded cheese or creamy salad dressing right into it.

Brad

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:14 pm
outagas well done
well done

Um, bacon and ground chuck.

I tried this recently. You know the results without even trying it.
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:28 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I like my burgers rare. For that reason, pork sausage and bacon don't make it in the mix. I recently have found Hanger steak for $ 2.00/ lb. so I have mixed that to an 80/20 with fat trimmed off beef ribs to make some awesome tasting burgers.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:46 pm
MitchSchaft medium-well
medium-well

Ground chuck for me. I only use pork mixed with beef for meat balls or meatloaf. I don't like it with burgers :(.

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:30 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I'll try different things for burgers, but my favorite ones use straight ground lamb. Seasoned with only salt & pepper they really have a great flavor.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

eon wrote:
well I bought a burger patty press that costed only $5 which got me interested in trying different meat combinations
I was thinking something like 70% ground top sirloin, 30% ground pork

any suggestions of others to try out?

70% ground chuck or sirloin (tri-tip works great but I save mine for other stuff), 20% ground pork, and 10% beef heart. Apparently this particular combination has been in my family's recipe box for 4 generations now. (5 if my daughter takes up cooking....) :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:12 am
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

I buy a chuck roast and grind it myself - usually around the same price and you know you're getting chuck then. Lots of stores don't use chuck in their ground "chuck."

Don't need anything added to it that way. :D

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Mutt medium-rare
medium-rare

I have ground some of my own and find it to be more tender also. I do like to make a lot of my own grinds for sausage to mix with burger for different recipes I can control the amount of salts and stuff that way also.

Return to General Discussion