Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Polder thermometer feedback

Polder thermometer feedback

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:40 am
waterman

Has anyone out there in cyberspace used a polder meat thermometer/ timer in you grilling endevors. How much heat can they handle?? I would assume it would be used for bigger cuts of meat (chicken, butts, ect) cooked at low to med heat. Are the worth the money??? thanks for your input...

Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:42 am
PaulP well done
well done

I've owned a Polder for about a year, and they're definately worh the money, ($20 or so.) There are also some lower-cost clones out there that I've heard some positive feedback about.

You're right that they are used for larger cuts that require extended cooking time, such as whole chickens and roasts. Their response time is too slow to allow them to substitute for an instant-read in smaller cuts like chops.

As far as the as the amount of heat they can handle, they're rated up to 350 degrees F. The main component that would fail is the wire connecting the probe to the external display unit. As a precaution, I've wrapped my wire in heavy-duty foil. No problems so far. Just be careful not to trap the wire in a tightly closng gap with sharp edges, like the gap between the lid and body of your grill. Most grills have a notch in the side where a rotisserie shaft would go. Route the Polder wire through that notch.

Overall, I'd recommend this unit.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:58 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'mglad to hear some good news about Polder. After 'America's Test Kitchen' said that the Polder Thermometer was the winner out of the thermometers that they tested, I was going to purchase on. When I serched the WEB to find a good price, I found instead several customers returning their thermometers because of failure. The reading went haywire after a couple uses.

This concerned me so I contacted the manufacture. They promptly replied to my inqury and said that in almost every case of failure the owner was using the thermometer on a grill. Since the direct heat of grills can reach upwards of 600 degrees the wire connecting the probe would melt. The manufacture claimed that their probes were never intended to operate in the heat of direct grilling but that they were intended for cooking in an oven or possible an indiect smoker.

One guy said that his thermometer stopped working after he cleaned it but when the cable completely dried it worked properly again.

So i've put it back on my Christmas list!!!

Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:31 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I've also heard the reports of failures from too high temps. I don't know why you'd be using a Polder for high temperature grilling anyhow. For these applications, I use a digital instant-read thermometer. Save the Polder for indirect cooking of roasts and whole birds.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:55 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Does anyone have any experiences with or opinions about the wireless remote thermometer that transmits temperatures to a receiving unit up to 100 feet away? Are they worth it?

Example: 746-90 Polder Wireless Remote Cooking Thermometer & Timer

http://www.polder.com/retail/cgi-bin/ed ... 746-90.htm

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:28 am
lenpra raw
raw

I also had problems with the Polder (high temp led to failure). Good solution: Bed Bath and Beyond (and other stores and internet sites) sell a wireless thermometer/timer called the Redi Check Maverick. It handles high temperatures (instructions say ok to grilling), and allows you to insert the probe, set desired temperature and or time, clip the receiver onto your belt, and walk away (up to 100 feet). The receiver will notify you when the probe reaches your desired temp and or time period. Price = $39.95. Have used it mainly for beer can chicken. Set it for 180 degrees and was "called" when chicken was done. What a system!!

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:48 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

lenpra,

Does the Redi Check Maverick instructions say the max temperature that it's rated? At what temperatures have you used it?

Thanks!

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:39 pm
lenpra raw
raw

Bob-BQN and all,

The manual states max. temp is 410 degrees. Keep in mind that this type of thermometer is generally used for lower temp, slower grilling (roasts, beer can chicken, etc.). I have been told that a replacement probe will be available soon which will handle temps of 550 degrees.
Good grilling.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:27 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for the info, that's a big help!

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:42 pm

For the same money as Bed Bath and Beyond wants for the single probe remote you can get the newer dual probe Redi Check thermometer. One probe for the meat and one for the temp at grate level. Geared more for a smoker than a grill. I use my smoker for the big cuts and the grill for the fast high heat stuff. On the grill I use an instand read when necessary.

http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:00 pm
lenpra raw
raw

The dual probe model discussed is for smokers only. Does not stand up to the high temps needed to use in a grill.

Return to General Discussion