Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion pork ribs on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

pork ribs on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm
eon medium
medium

there was an episode the other night where they had a guy on who specialized in North Carolina style ribs and apparently was a great pit master

now the intriguing thing was that his style of grilling the pork ribs was "hot and fast"... only 20 minutes per side
but they allegedly they were still fall off the bone tender!
he also didnt do any fancy marinade tricks, just a simple dry rub

and of course he beat Bobby Flay

any ideas how to cook tender ribs that fast?

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:51 pm
TSMFLORIDA well done
well done

First off, good for the guy beating Bobby F. I personally am not a fan.

Secondly, Could the ribs have been precooked or boiled?
Ted
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
22" Vertical Smoker
Pro Q cold smoke generator
BBQ grillware charcoal grille

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I don't see ANY way fast ribs can be "fall off the bone" without some pre-cooking.

Anyway, N.C. is home to some pretty good BBQ, but it is not famous for ribs. I don't mind fast ribs, but I expect them to be "fightin'" ribs, not tender. That's fine as long as you know what you are going for... When I do fast ribs, I don't bother with a rub or even the old "put the sauce on at the very end" biz.

Direct (moderate) heat 20 minutes per side can cook pork to 170 or so, caramelize the sauce without burning and feed hungry people. They will NOT be tender, though ..
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 pm
eon medium
medium

they were definitely not precooked and they clearly looked very tender, he was able to pull the ribs from the rack
and the audience commented how his were much more tender than Bobby's (who had his slow smoking)

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:35 pm
rogerja well done
well done

eon wrote:
they were definitely not precooked and they clearly looked very tender, he was able to pull the ribs from the rack
and the audience commented how his were much more tender than Bobby's (who had his slow smoking)

Maybe Bobby had his water pan directly on the coals?

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:59 pm
32 medium-rare
medium-rare

TSMFLORIDA wrote:
Could the ribs have been precooked or boiled?

nope. he does his whole hog fast too.
my brewery poured beer for ed mitchell at a BBQ demo he did a few months ago.

chris32
durham, nc

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:12 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32206880/ ... _and_wine/

According to this, the ribs cook one hour, and then sit in a water bath..... Could the ribs he served against Flay just been re-heated for 20 minutes ???

It just defies the laws of food science that he can make raw ribs tender in 20 minutes per side (unless his rub is 80% meat tenderizer or something ...) Even organic, free-range pigs have basically the same muscle tissue as commercial ones.
- Phillyjazz -

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:23 pm
32 medium-rare
medium-rare

phillyjazz wrote:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32206880/ns/today-today_food_and_wine/

According to this, the ribs cook one hour, and then sit in a water bath..... Could the ribs he served against Flay just been re-heated for 20 minutes ???

hmmmm very interesting....

It just defies the laws of food science that he can make raw ribs tender in 20 minutes per side (unless his rub is 80% meat tenderizer or something ...) Even organic, free-range pigs have basically the same muscle tissue as commercial ones.

i hear ya! i racked my brain trying to figure that out. was it the cut of meat, fancy pants pigs, etc.
i just go back to low and slow for my great results.
chris32
durham, nc

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:47 pm
eon medium
medium

dont know how much of a factor but he did said he uses a some special smoker he built himself

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:50 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

eon wrote:
dont know how much of a factor but he did said he uses a some special smoker he built himself

Unless it uses forced steam or it's got a built-in pressure cooker, I'm skeptical about 20 minute tender ribs. I'm starting to think Flay's "throwdowns" might be the BBQ version of professional wrestling.. Sometimes the "bad guy" has to win, or nobody would watch .. :wink:
- Phillyjazz -

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:17 am
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

I had recorded this show on my DVR, and just got done watching it. He didn't just grill them for 20 mins on each side...first he smoked them for the hours that we all know and love. Then, he put them on the grill and put layer after layer of BBQ sauce - ie, put on sauce, let it carmalize, put on more sauce, let it carmalize, etc, etc, etc. Note that while he was grilling the ribs, he said that his grill was gas, because he wasn't trying to add any more flavor, as the ribs had already been smoked....
Weber Kettle
Kingsford Charcoal Grill
Big Baby Homemade Smoker (under construction!)

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:20 am
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

tpizel wrote:
I had recorded this show on my DVR, and just got done watching it. He didn't just grill them for 20 mins on each side...first he smoked them for the hours that we all know and love. Then, he put them on the grill and put layer after layer of BBQ sauce - ie, put on sauce, let it carmalize, put on more sauce, let it carmalize, etc, etc, etc. Note that while he was grilling the ribs, he said that his grill was gas, because he wasn't trying to add any more flavor, as the ribs had already been smoked....

Hmmm..maybe I was watching a different episode than was referenced here...I read rib throwdown with Bobby Flay....but Bobby didn't smoke his, he baked them in the oven with an asian sort of steam bath.
Weber Kettle
Kingsford Charcoal Grill
Big Baby Homemade Smoker (under construction!)

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:04 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

tpizel wrote:
tpizel wrote:

Hmmm..maybe I was watching a different episode than was referenced here...I read rib throwdown with Bobby Flay....but Bobby didn't smoke his, he baked them in the oven with an asian sort of steam bath.

Bobby has two different rib Throwdown episodes. The new one I believe is with Ed Mitchell from Raleigh, NC.

Links to Ed Mitchell on BBQ Ribs:

http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/bbq-ribs/index.html

This episode airs:
* Aug 09, 2009 11:30 PM ET/PT

* Aug 10, 2009 2:30 AM ET/PT

* Sep 05, 2009 9:30 PM ET/PT

The older episode is with Buz, from Richmond, VA on BBQ Spare Ribs.

Link to Buz:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appetite/2008/05/trueblue_barbecue_ribs.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/bbq-spare-ribs/index.html

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 pm
eon medium
medium

they are replaying this on the food network channel if anyone's interested

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I had it on last night and he definitely said he only cooked them 20 minutes per side, hot and fast. He rubbed the completely raw ribs with his dry rub and threw them on the grill. I wasn't paying close attention as I was doing something else at the time, but I did catch that much for sure. Maybe it's magic????????
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Next

Return to General Discussion