Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion GFS Lump OR Hardwood Charcoal anyone ever used it?

GFS Lump OR Hardwood Charcoal anyone ever used it?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
USFMD82 well done
well done

I was in GFS the other day and saw a 20lb bag of GFS labeled Lump, and i have done some more inspecting on it and found out it is made by Royal Oak, and sold under the GFS private label.

I also saw "hardwood Charcoal" anyone know about this is it 100% hardwood with no fillers in it, like sams choice hardwood briquettes I don't know as I have never seen sams choice hardwood briquettes only their charcoal briquettes.

Nakedwhiz has nothing up on either one of these, anyone got any experiences?
Bubba Keg Grill
Calphalon Gas
Weber SJ & P '18
Sunbeam Electric 17"
R.I.P 06.01.09 Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill (ECB)

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:29 pm

I am as I type this smoking brisket using cowboy brand all 100% natural hardwood lump charcoal. (also using hickory chunks) Both purchased at Lowe's. It seems me that it takes longer to light and ash over, but so far i feel that it is lasting longer than briquettes do. ( i usually use kingsford original, not the stuff with the lighter fluid in it). Don't know if this was helpful but I hope so

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:41 pm
USFMD82 well done
well done

I just went through a bag of Cowboy brand, it wasn't to bad, but I tend to be more pleased with RO I dont know why, but my keg was up to temp last night in about 10 minutes, it seems to take longer for cowboy.

I was more looking for people with experience with the GFS brand.
Bubba Keg Grill
Calphalon Gas
Weber SJ & P '18
Sunbeam Electric 17"

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:19 pm
rogerja well done
well done

If it is RO lump, it's very good. In fact, I used to get RO lump at GFS. Anyway, it's good stuff. It should be under Royal Oak at NAked Whiz:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag11.htm

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 pm
USFMD82 well done
well done

I get RO at Walmart, but I was gonna pick the lump up after I get done with this bag.

The ting about the RO review at naked whiz they say there are different grades of RO so to speak, for instance RO saves the finest peices of lump for the big green egg bags i have read before, jsut wondering if this Lump will be the lowest of low.

any word on what this Hardwood charcoal is? thanks!
Bubba Keg Grill
Calphalon Gas
Weber SJ & P '18
Sunbeam Electric 17"

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:01 pm
Dorfineer rare
rare

I use the GFS Lump exclusively! All it is is Royal Oak in a special package. I had to get the owner of the Aurora, IL GFS to call in about it, but it is indeed RO.

I actually feel that it's a better grade of RO than what you get from a normal bag of RO. Since it comes in a 20 lb bag there's more room and protection for the big chunks and less of the crap tiny pieces that fall through the grate and dust that just gets in your lungs.

GOOD STUFF! I wish Naked Whiz would do a review of it...if I wasn't such a cheapass I would send him a bag of it!
22" Weber Performer
Modified Brinkmann Gourmet...the FRANKENSMOKER!

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 pm
USFMD82 well done
well done

thanks, I will definitely pick a bag up regardless. and report what I find. Have you ever grabbed the hardwood charcoal?
Bubba Keg Grill
Calphalon Gas
Weber SJ & P '18
Sunbeam Electric 17"

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:53 pm
Dorfineer rare
rare

Nope, just the GFS Lump. I imagine it's also by RO, just repackaged. I might grab a bag sometime, but seeing as I just bought two 20# bags of lump I won't be back there for a while.

I'm a little leery of briquettes to begin with though. Kingsford scarred me away from briquettes with all the crap that they put in it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm something of a charcoal snob either...

If you use it post a reply, RO makes good stuff and I have heard positive things about their briquettes.
22" Weber Performer
Modified Brinkmann Gourmet...the FRANKENSMOKER!

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:57 pm
wfriesen1 rare
rare

Has anybody heard of Mexican lump charcoal? Somebody told me that this was a much better charcoal than Royal Oak. The problem i had with the RO from Wal-Mart was it seemed to be going well when I spread it out, but within a short time the heat level had dropped to almost nothing.I have reluctantly gone back to using briquettes in order to get a more consistent and longer lasting heat.

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:32 am
rogerja well done
well done

wfriesen1 wrote:
Has anybody heard of Mexican lump charcoal?

Not specifically, but many mexican charcoals are mesquite. I think Frontier may be made in mexico.

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:25 pm
Shawn rare
rare

While I normally use RO Steakhouse, I've been hooked by a bag of Grove Charcoal out of Canada.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag49.htm

Unlike RO I've not found any rocks in the GC bag and can fire about 300 degrees on two chimneys for roughly 2.5 to 3 hours.
Char Griller Pro Deluxe no SFB (Yet)
Kenmore Master Flame Gas Grill
Please follow and support http://www.journeyto1000.org

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:51 pm
wfriesen1 rare
rare

I picked up a bag of GFS lump last week, and at this point I have to say I like it better than the RO from Wal-mart. Also got a couple of bags of Fire King to try.

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 pm
papabbq rare
rare

Hey Dorf...just send Naked an email. I'm sure he will look into it.
Weber Summit
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Mountain
Cookshack Smokette
And a NEW CG!

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 am
jchob rare
rare

I hate to sound really dumb but what does GFS stand for ?? I am at a loss.

JC

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 am
TSMFLORIDA well done
well done

jchob wrote:
I hate to sound really dumb but what does GFS stand for ?? I am at a loss.

JC

I searched it on the computer and came up with Gordon's Food Source. So, that would be my guess. Some type of wholesale store.
Ted
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
22" Vertical Smoker
Pro Q cold smoke generator
BBQ grillware charcoal grille

Next

Return to General Discussion