Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Grilled Half Chickens

Grilled Half Chickens

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:32 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Set up the horizontal for indirect grilling in the main chamber this weekend and did a couple of half chickens. Used the basic BBQ rub and mopped them with a vinegar mop for about an hour. Finished them with some KC's Masterpiece BBQ sauce ( haven't found a homemade sauce the wife likes just yet) and served them with the Sweet & Smoky baked beans from HTG and yellow sweet corn on the cob. The wife made a cucumber salad to compliment.
MMMMMM GOOOOOD!

Doing the pork roast for this weekends event.

RichD

Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:50 pm
Omaha John rare
rare

Maybe I should read further but I can't find reference to a vinegar mop.
What is that technique, and what is the benefit? :?:
24 Beers to a Case, ...24 Hours in a Day,.. just a coincidence?... I think NOT!!

Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:42 am
hotchef well done
well done

A vinegar mop is a generic term for a thin vinegar based sauce that is applied to meat while it is cooking. Look around the board and you will find a plethora of different recipes.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:11 pm
PaulP well done
well done

RichD...
I don't know if you have The Barbecue Bible, but if you can get hold of a copy, try Steve's Basic Barbecue Sauce. It's our favorite, although I adjust it to our taste.

I would also recommend the Cornell Chicken recipe from Barbecue USA. This is a great one for spatchcocked or halved chickens.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:14 pm
Sledneck well done
well done

I havent tried to make the cornell chicken myslef but I have had it at a fair in upstate NY and it was awesome
Steve

Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:09 pm

I just did a Cornell Chicken following the recipe in BBQ USA and it was delicious. It is more work than beer can chicken but IMHO it is far better. This is one that I will do again and again. Best chicken so far!

Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:18 pm
Roundtuit rare
rare

Anonymous wrote:
I just did a Cornell Chicken following the recipe in BBQ USA and it was delicious. It is more work than beer can chicken but IMHO it is far better. This is one that I will do again and again. Best chicken so far!

Er, uh, um that was me. I, uh, forgot to, um, log in! :()

Return to Testimonials