Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Deep Fried Pork Roast

Deep Fried Pork Roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:59 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Hello!

I happened to stumble across a recipe that perhaps you may like to try if you are a turkey fryer fan. The recipe is entitled Deep Fried Pork Roast; it includes the injection mixture as well as how to make a gravy for it. The cooking time is about 8 minutes per pound. Looks like this might be a good idea at Thanksgiving for those not so fond of turkey? :D

http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cooking ... -Fried.htm

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:17 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sounds good. I will have to try that sometime.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:50 am
dkirn well done
well done

Have you tried this already? If so what were your results?

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:28 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

dkirn wrote:
Have you tried this already? If so what were your results?

It is on the agenda to prepare this weekend. My father in law has actually made this before but I did not get invited for the meal. :( He really talked up how moist and delicious the meat turned out.

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:00 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Please post your results. I am very interested in trying this but will not be able to for 2-3 weeks. I will post my results when I cook it and let everyone know my results.

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:02 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Tried the Deep Fried Pork Roast. The only thing I would recommend would be leaving out rubbing the roast with the mustard and sprinkling with the dry seasoning.

I did as the recipe indicated and overnighted it in a bag. Seems to me that the mustard and dry rub came off when it was deep fried and really made a mess of the oil. I guess if you are not concerned the purity of your oil for reuse go for it ... since I reuse mine several times I will not do it this way next time around. SInce most of the outside covering came off the gravy step did not turn out as good so I did doctor it up a bit.

The meat was delicious! Very juicy and tender. I let the roast rest about 20 minutes before cutting it up just to let the juices draw back into the meat before cutting.

DKIRN ... if you try this please post your results, please?

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:16 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I have scheduled this for the meal for the day after Thanksgiving. I will post my results. I am going to be cooking two roasts so I will try one with and one without the mustard and post the results

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:50 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

lostsoul- Have you ever tried to filter your oil? I use and electric siphon pump and I find that not only does it filter the oil nicely but just make the process of transfering the oil much easier. The same can be done with a funnel and cheese cloth too. But I'm of the Tim Taylor school of grilling. More Power!

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:05 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Grand Scale--

I do believe I saw a siphon filter on a trip to Wally World (Walmart) but I just briefly glanced. I think the apparatus was priced at 39.99 or so ... that is about double the great price I paid for the whole turkey fryer. At this point I do funnel the used oil through a fine mesh sieve lined with double cheesecloth. Now that I am using it (turkey fryer) more and more and getting hubby to participate with the filtering of the oil maybe now is the time to spring the idea of the electric siphon. Never met a guy who didn't like power tools... hehehehe. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:08 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I just saw a similar device in the new Grill Lovers catalog.

www.grilllovers.com

Post Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:21 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yup thats the critter. I bought mine at gander mountain and I know cabelas carries them too. The price is worth it. I think its a safety and cleanup issue too. I have pots ranging from 32 - 80 qt (yes I have an 80 qt pot, are you surpised...c'mon...its stainless too) Anyway and 80qt pot full of oil is a bit tough to manipulate into pouring into a funnel. The pump make it all possible. Plus there no risk of spilling a pot of oil on your patio/driveway. This of course has never happened to me. :oops:

I reccomend it.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:38 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

Has there been any further reviews of the fried pork roast?

Return to General Discussion