Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ light

BBQ light

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:17 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm looking to purchase a new BBQ light and was wondering if anyone had any expereince with one of these: http://www1.inetba.com/allparts/item85574.ctlg

I need one that is weatherproof and has a swivel head and clamps on. Any ideas besides this one? Anyone have expereince with this one?

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:34 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I do and I DO NOT like it.

I have serious problems wth it staying on. It is entirely made of plastic including the clamp and the screw of the clamp. I try to keep mine on even when I put the cover on my grill and it keeps getting knocked off. I can't tighten it enough because the screw bends before it gets tight. Beyond that it does function ok. But to me its just a big nuisance.

This light is on my christmas list this year.

http://www.grilllovers.com/shopItemDetail.asp?SID=&txtproductId=7790807&txtQueryID=&txtKeyword=&multiDept=&selDepartment=2&selClass=4&selPrice=&absPage=1&shopperid=P8UQG856JXSR2MVX00JP4XCD30SBACTE

I like the flexible neck and the larger light area. My thought is that if the clamp doesn't hold (which I don't think it will) I'm going to bust the clamp and bolt the top plate of the clamp directly to my side prep area.

The grilllovers website listed above also has several other style to choose from as well.

Good Luck

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:26 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I don't know. It says nothing about weatherproofing and that's kind of important to me since I have been known to grill in the rain since I rpeapre to grill something a couple days ahead and don't much care. I have 4 weber torches and bunching them will probabaly be bright, i'll give that a try. It sure looks nice though. :)

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:01 pm
TheRoff

I bought one several years ago from Grill Lovers.com. It is on a stand, uses a halagon light and plugs in. I wouldn't leave it out in the rain, but I use it often, especially this time of year, and do like it a lot.

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:21 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Airfoils-
I like you grill year round, rain, sleet, snow, 3-4 nights a week. You have a good point about the weather. The one you're looking at and that I currently use is weather proofed in that it is an enclosed plastic housing. The switch is a sealed rubber pushbutton, and the bulb is shrouded by a rubber grommet. My major problem is that since I do grill so often and that I do keep my grill covered (with a custom oversized cover so space isn't an issue) the darn thing keeps falling off. If I grill 3-4 nights a week it hits the ground 2-3 of them. Thats the only thing I don't like.
I like the idea of a clamp on light vs. a standing one but its got to stay on!
If you're going to live with what you've got for now, I'll post a report after christmas (maybe sooner if I get impatient).

If you come up with something else sooner please share.

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:08 am
dkirn well done
well done

Well I do not have any experience with these clip on lights, but I can suggest that if you have the means install a perment exterior light fixture. I use a simple flood light that has two bulbs and I have one pointed right at the grill and it works perfect.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:25 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have that exact light, and have had no problems with it falling off during grilling. I did tork it down pretty good, (in fact I put a little hairline crack on my table top); and I don't use a grill cover. Mine has been attached to my grill table (weber kettle platinum series) since the day I bought it, and has been out in all kinds of inclement weather. I've never had a problem, and the light is nice and white which helps you accurately gauge doneness. I highly recommend it. Good luck.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:20 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I just got finished modifying my light in an attempt to make it work better, ie. stop falling off. I replaced the 7/16" plastic bolt that tightens the clamp with a steel one. The plastic one would bend by the time it got tight enough to stay in place. Hopefully the steel will do the trick.

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:20 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it works great. I like the spectrum it radiates as was noted previously; it allows for telling doneness more readily. It's already been through a couple of hard rains and it works well. It hasn't been through a freeze yet but we'll get one of those tonight. I suspect however freezing won't effect it any. For what it is, it's a pretty solid product so far.

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:27 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Here's a thought...Instead of investing a lot of money in a light that attaches to the grill, I bought a hiker's headlamp from an outdoor supplier on the Web. Cost about $15. Looks stupid, but works great. Gives you light wherever you look, and I dont have to worry about putting it on the grill and removing it to cover.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:01 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

With friends like mine looking stupid is not advisable...

Good thought though.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:59 am
BBQ BOY

After considering various options, I went to Home Depot and purchased a halogen (50 W) desk lamp for $17.00. It has a weighted bottom and adjusts to many positions. While not "weatherproof", it is completely portable. When not in use I merely lay it down flat and cover it, along with my grill, with my grill cover. When using, it stands on my side table, not taking up much room, and shines a bright light aloowing me to see colors very clearly. The disadvantage of the clip on lights is that unless you "unclip" them prior to covering grill, you will eventually break the clamp. This inexpensive halogen desk lamp works great.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:10 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I don't cover my grill. After owning a Weber Bar-B-Kettle for more than 12 years and it still looks great after being in the weather all that time, covering it seems elective anynore in my case so I just leave this thing clamped to the table of my Weber Platinum. I can understand however that a lot of gas grills require such care. The last 2 ideas are interesting enough I agree.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:28 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I've decided that even though the headlamp is working great, I'm going all out. Next spring, I plan to install a ceiling fan on the deck, and will put in a spot light over the grill at the same trime.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion