Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Alabama BBQ

Alabama BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:10 am
cmcadams well done
well done

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Montgomery, Alabama, and took the opportunity while there to try some Bama BBQ. I got samples of just about everything, and I thought I'd share my 'reviews'

First was Dreamland:
Great hickory smell walking up to the place, and a really great open pit inside, smoke everywhere, but the good kind.
Chopped pork was decent, but nothing special
Spare ribs (all the places had spare vs. babyback).. very good, nice crust
Chicken was excellent, smoky, moist
Brunswick stew was also very good.
Sides are small at Dreamland, though

The Smokehouse in Millbrook:
Interesting building... I liked the look inside, nothing fancy at all, but fit the bbq.
Pulled pork was excellent.. smoky and moist
Turkey breast was ok, but it was processed turkey loaf of some sort
Ribs were smoky and very good
Sauce was cattleman's with some variations
Beans had shredded pork in them, were spicy, and excellent

Fat Boy's in Prattville
Stacks of wood and a big smoker outside were pretty cool. A customer in front of me asked if they had lowfat dressing for salad, and the guy responded, 'You're at Fat Boy's.. there's nothing lowfat here!'
Brisket was ok
Chicken was excellent, but just a little dry
pulled pork was very good
Ribs were GREAT
Coleslaw had pickles in it.. no thanks
Brunsick stew was pretty good

Out of the three places I got to, this is how I'd rate them per item
Ribs... Definitely Fat Boy's
Pulled Pork... Smokehouse
Chicken... Dreamland
Brisket... My house!
Brunswick stew... Dreamland

Any of the places are woth a visit, though I think I can do at least as well at home, though I'm cooking for me, not for a restaurant full of people.

Sauce is definitely an afterthought in the area, which is fine by me... in Ohio, most places tend to think sauce IS bbq, so they load it on.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:12 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I've moved this topic to the "Best BBQ joint" forum where it will be most useful.

Great reviews and well thought out Curt! Thanks for sharing. Your talk of Bama Q now has my mouth watering for some Big Bob chicken samiches. 8)

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:18 am
cmcadams well done
well done

No problem.. I just never go over there!
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:43 pm
hotchef well done
well done

I'm glad you got to experience Dreamland in one of its original locations. As it has expanded, it has lost a lot of its qualities on the fringes. I've never been to the other ones though. Thanks for throwing some ideas out for when I am in the area.

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:47 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

The Dreamland that you went to is probably one of the best in the state of Alabama. We had one here in the Florence area for a little while but it was overrun with college kids that just killed the food. If anyone goes to Dreamland make it the Montgomery one!
Image Image
"Who you callin' a chile head?!"

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:41 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

I really loved the smell of Dreamland... hickory smoke all over the place... smelled like my backyard during a smoking session! Got to talk to the pit guy, which was cool, too.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:06 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

Glad that you had a good experience. Next time you come through you buying for the rest of us? :lol:
Image Image
"Who you callin' a chile head?!"

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:50 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

I'll buy, but only up to my per diem amount!
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:26 pm

Information about using proxy

Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:05 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy roost! :D

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:06 pm

Dude, the BEST Dreamland is in Tuscaloosa! You've got to go there for the experience and the food.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:52 am
dwilli01 rare
rare

Next time you are south of Birmingham on 65 stop off at exit 212 underneath the big peach water tower in Chilton County. There is a place called Country Boy's BBQ - they have great ribs.

There is only room for about 10 or so folks to sit down inside - but that is not a problem - I think I can eat more standing up.
-dw

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:55 pm
LMTC medium-rare
medium-rare

Recently spent several days in northern AL, and ate at big Bob Gibson's in Decatur. Sauce was average at best IMO. They also use a mayo based sauce that many locals rave about.....but I didn't see why. Had pulled pork and sliced brisket. Both dry for my taste, not smoked nearly enough, and flavor was at best average. Overall moderately disappointing. Portions were generous, sides were ok.

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:54 pm
danimull raw
raw

I visited Dreamland years ago and would have to rate in near the top of all BBQ joints I have ever visited!

Also, first place I ever had Shiner Bock beer...now my favorite.

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:59 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

I went to Johnny's in Cullman back in Feb and it was good. The beef and pork were good to go but the chicken was a little dry. But they did have plenty of that good mayo BBQ sauce to flavor it right up.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint