Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Temp and time advice for pork, beef, ribs...

Temp and time advice for pork, beef, ribs...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
JonM rare
rare

I am throwing a party for the mrs this weekend and was wondering how ong I need to cook a shoulder, beef roast and ribs and what is the best temp? The shoulders I have done have come out great, but a little under-done.

Also - to mop or not to mop?

Regards,

Jon
JonM - Ft Myers
Chargriller with SFB
Charmglow gasser

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:42 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Too many variables for a beef roast to give a definite answer. Depends on the cut. For the shoulder, I do mine at about 220 for about 12 hours till its 190 degrees internal temp. Ribs I do at the same temp for about 6 hours or until the meat pulls back from the bones.

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:36 pm
JonM rare
rare

Thanks! Looks like another early morning fire in the back yard!

What temp should I look to bring the beef to? It won't be a brisket - actually, it might be - I'm not sure what cut to get (I've only done 1 brisket - that's my entire beef experience)

Jon
JonM - Ft Myers
Chargriller with SFB
Charmglow gasser

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:33 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Well if you are going to be cooking these in the same pit it would be best to use either beef shoulder or brisket. These are the best two pieces of cow to barbecue. Other roasts are better... well roasted, which require a heat far to high for ribs or pork shoulder.
Live Different

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:37 pm
dkirn well done
well done

As far as the pork shoulder your cooking time depends on the size of your shoulder - you need to bring the internal temp to 190. As far as temp I smoke everything between 200-225. Also you will want to make sure that you place the pork shoulder fat side up so that it can keep the should from drying out (make sure you do not over trim the shoulder, I leave it the way I get it from the butcher). I also use a mop of apple cider about every hour after the first two hours.

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:21 am
JonM rare
rare

Thanks for the tips on the beef. I think I'll do a 10-12lb prok shoulder and a similar sized brisket. I figure with both going to 195 +/- then cooking times should be fairly close (app 10-12 hours @ 220 +/-). Now - off to the butcher!

J
JonM - Ft Myers
Chargriller with SFB
Charmglow gasser

Return to General Discussion