Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Member Recipes

Member Recipes

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:52 pm
Smokin J rare
rare

Just got my CG a couple weeks ago and "initiated" it with some good ol' pork country ribs. This is my first time cooking them on the smoker. I've always done them in the oven.

They turned out fabulous, so I thought I would share the recipe with the community. Here's what I did:

Got 2 lbs of country ribs cut at Krogers about 2" thick (I'm good friends w/ the meat dept. manager there). The ones they sell on the shelf are not thick enough in my opinion for smokin'

The night before: sprayed them a 50/50 mix of jack daniels and apple juice, rubbed them down with my rub, let them sit overnight.

The next day: Pulled them from fridge, hit them again with the rub. Let them sit out to reach room temp while I fired up the CG.

Used a mix of hickory and apple chunks. Smoked at 225-250 for 1 1/2 hours naked turning once after 45 min.

Mopped again with a little more jack and apple juice. Wrapped in foil, smoked approx another 1 1/2 hrs. maintaining between 225-250

Unwrapped from foil. Placed back on smoker naked for the final 30 min of cooking. Cranked vents wide open, removed water pans. Temp climbed a little to about 265 deg. Hit them with Stubbs BBQ sauce during last 15 min. Pulled from smoker and let rest about 10 minutes.

Delicious :P ....Sorry I didn't get any pics. I will next time.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:05 am
ClubCarib rare
rare

sounds awesome....i think ill give that a try once our CG is set up and seasoned! let me share one of our favs with you...after smoking and serving up such delicious food for lunch or dinner, we like to make nice desserts on the grill too. simple is grilled peaches cut in half. a little meleted butter, brown sugar and touch of real vanilla, mix that and brush it on. let them cook while eating dinner, takes about 20 minutes over the coals.

but the real winner is "reverse berry Aebleskivers" Aebleskivers are an old 'apple pancake' from the Dutch i think...anyway we have an old Griswold cast iron pan #962, from the 40's, and instead of using it as a muffin pan, we flip it over so the muffin 'cups' are reversed (pointing up). then we make some pie dough, roll it out, use a drinking glass to cut round discs, grease the bumps of the pan with Crisco, and drape the dough over them. use fork tines to flute the edges.

take some fresh berries (mixed or whatever you like) and wrap them in foil with a little cinnamon and sugar, put both the berries and the pan with dough on the grill. done in 15-30 mins, depending on your heat. put the cooked dough 'cups' in a Margarita glass, spoon berries in, top with whipped cream, and take a bow.
CG Smokin' Pro w/ SFB

Post Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:17 pm
geezer medium-rare
medium-rare

Here is my recipe for smoked Irish soda bread.
You will need.
3 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1 1/4 cup of milk
2 tbs butter
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl then cut the butter in and add the egg. Mix together. Next gradually add the milk mix very throughly ensure that you have no dry areas. Turn the dough out onto a flowered surface and quickly knead it into the shape of a small round loaf. cut a X into the top of it and lightly dust with flower. Your grill should be preheated to hot and add 2 chunks of hicory, or you can use soaked wood chips. I use a pizza stone for this kind of baking, place the loaf onto the pizza stone, and bake in the grill for 30 -40 mins. This type of bread is a great accompaniment to a hot stew.
Hardcore grilling!

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 pm

geezer wrote:
Here is my recipe for smoked Irish soda bread.
You will need.
3 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1 1/4 cup of milk
2 tbs butter
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl then cut the butter in and add the egg. Mix together. Next gradually add the milk mix very throughly ensure that you have no dry areas. Turn the dough out onto a flowered surface and quickly knead it into the shape of a small round loaf. cut a X into the top of it and lightly dust with flower. Your grill should be preheated to hot and add 2 chunks of hicory, or you can use soaked wood chips. I use a pizza stone for this kind of baking, place the loaf onto the pizza stone, and bake in the grill for 30 -40 mins. This type of bread is a great accompaniment to a hot stew.

...But where's the meat...?...There's no meat... :)

Just kidding. I might actually try this - I've been trying to cook whole meals on the grill. Has anyone ever tried cornbread on the grill?
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Bswilly65 rare
rare

I have done corn bread.Just the "jiffy" brand in a box.I added some canned sweet corn to the batter.It turned out very well on my char griller
President
Circle City Volkswagen club
www.ccvw.org

BBQ aholic

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:47 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

This sauce is stout but I really like it on pork.Its actually not my recipe but I felt it was worth sharing.

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:50 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

This recipe for slaw is from the same person.My daughter who doesn't like slaw changed her mind after trying it.

SLAW:
1 cabbage, coarsely grated
1 carrot, finely grated
1 sweet onion, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 medium sized dill pickle, minced

DRESSING:
1 garlic clove pulverized with a ¼ tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup dill pickle juice
1/8 cup vinegar
2 tbsp mustard
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed
Pinch cayenne pepper

1 Combine cabbage, carrot, onions and dill pickle in a large mixing bowl.
2 Whisk together mayonnaise and buttermilk. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until uniform.
3 Pour over cabbage mixture and incorporate.
For best results refrigerate over night to allow flavors to marry.

If you follow the recipe to the letter it will be thin so I reduce the buttermilk to 3/4 cup.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Trollby well done
well done

If you like or use Lawery's seasoning salt after trying this you will never go back.

Great on home made fries

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
3/4 teaspoon onion power (not onion salt)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Put in a spice jar and shake well.

Flavors are good for normal 6 months, would be surprised if you have not made more before 3 months :)

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:23 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Recipe from my childhood I still make:

Large russet potato cleaned, halved then you cut checker-board on the top (deeper in the center).

coat the skin with vegetable oil and kosher salt (I like my home-made seasoning salt) flip over and light oil the tops of the tater and coat with fresh ground pepper, seasoning salt, granulated garlic and smoked sweet paprika.

Cook at 350* for 30 min then baste with garlic butter and finish cooking 20-30 min until softened coat with more garlic butter when removed from oven/grill.

Great with a steak!

Trollby well done
well done

Grilled Italian sausage with grilled peppers and onions on an Italian roll w/marinara sauce

Grilled they are great, I make them in house too when weather is not cooperating.

Ingredients:
2# Italian sausage in casings (about 8 )
1 onion, sliced (your favorite type)
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 orange bell pepper, julienned
1-2 Garlic cloves, pealed and pressed or chopped
Fresh grated parmesan cheese
Herbes de Provence, just a nice pinch
Seasoning salt (homemade)
Fresh ground pepper
1 cup Marinara sauce (home made)
8 Italian rolls (like a big brat bun but more crusty)
Water

Instructions:

Grill your sausage until about half done, at that time place sliced Onion, Peppers on the grill to cook with a little olive oil Seasoning salt and ground pepper.

On side burner or on grill over heat get your Marinara sauce and garlic hot, add the peppers and onions when cooked, add a pinch of Herbes de Provence and Fresh grated Parmesan cheese mix well stir to melt into sauce. Put Sausage in the mix and serve.

Pull out a sausage and place on roll with tongs grab some pepper/onion mix and place over sausage cover with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

2. This is the in the house method, I like to make them on the grill best.
Total cook time was about 45minutes.

In a large skillet (12â€

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm
mac24312 medium
medium

I am so Subbin to this and I promise when I get some time I will put some of my recipes and pics on here of the food I use to cook on my gas grill and water smoker before the CG :wink:

HUGS
Christina
CG with SFB mod
Aussie Gas Grill
Very used Water Smoker

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 pm
Trollby well done
well done

German Potato Salad

PRE-COOK - about 2# potatoes, slightly under-cooked is ok. I like red potatoes but russet are fine. Slice to about 1/4" - 1/2" thick after cooked and cooled.
1# bacon cut in to cubes
1 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup vinegar (apple cider is favorite)
1/4 water
sugar
fresh ground pepper
fresh parsley, chopped

Cook bacon until crisp in large cast iron pan, remove from pan and remove 1/2 the grease (save, if needed)
Add onions and cook until translucent, add more oil if needed along with vinegar, water, pepper and stir in sugar to make the flavor you like ( i use about 2 tablespoons, if white vinegar will need more)
Add potatoes, bacon and heat though.
Garnish with parsley

Server warm

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs and How-To's