Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 2-Part BBQ

2-Part BBQ

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 am

Anyone know if it's possible / feasible (advisable??) to partially smoke pork shoulder on one day, take it off the coals and finish it a second day (one day later)?
Assuming, of course, proper refrigeration, et al in the interim.

I'm having a couple dozen guests over on Memorial Day weekend, and need to have all the food (2 shoulders and 3 chickens + grilled corn on the cob) come off at the same time. I'm the only one doing any cooking and with all that, I'll be busier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest. It would really simplify my task if the above is possible.

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Remember, you really want to let those shoulders rest awhile before pulling anyway. IMO, you'd be better off completely cooking the shoulders and refrigerate whole. Then reheat in a low oven while you're cooking your other items.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 am
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

My wife and I also have a large gathering each Memorial Day - usually for about 80 or so friends and family - and Pulled Pork (among other things) is one of the items on the menu.

I plan on completely smoking the butts, resting them, and pulling them the day before, and throwing in the fridge. On the day of the event, put in pan, reheat in the oven (throwing on some ice chips or water to help keep it moist) covered for about 90 minutes - then into a Roaster or Chaffing dish it will go.

Gonna do something very similar with smoked chicken legs and baby back ribs too. That way, the day of the event, I can spend my time enjoying the event....oh, and probably kicking out some ABTs....

Good luck!
Weber Kettle
Kingsford Charcoal Grill
Big Baby Homemade Smoker (under construction!)

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:46 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

tpizel wrote:
I plan on completely smoking the butts, resting them, and pulling them the day before, and throwing in the fridge. On the day of the event, put in pan, reheat in the oven (throwing on some ice chips or water to help keep it moist) covered for about 90 minutes - then into a Roaster or Chaffing dish it will go.

I once smoked 6 butts and pulled the same day, then packed all the meat into ziploc bags for 2 days. When it came time to serve, the only method I had for reheating was the chaffing dish. I just put it in the chaffing dish and tossed it frequently for about an hour to make sure everything was heated evenly. Came out great, and still stayed very moist. I had only added a very small amount of my vinegar sauce to it.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:41 pm
CaptainJimmy medium
medium

its always better the second day anyway :P
BBQ'in from the Jersey Shore
Large Big Green Egg
34" GOSM Gasser
Weber Silver A

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CaptainJimmy wrote:
its always better the second day anyway :P

I agree - the smoke flavor and seasonings get more evenly distributed in the meat.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

My whole approach to large gatherings has changed since my investment in a vacuum sealer. I now intentionally smoke more than I need, vacuum and freeze. Put the bag in a hot water bath for an hour, you're good to go.

It allows me to already have the main dish prepared, and only deal with mindless sides the day of the gathering.

Plus, it's awesome for those impromptu football parties, etc. 8)

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

As far as food safety goes....

You must completely cook the meat the first time to the point that all the unhealthy microbes are killed. This means you must cook it to at least 140° and preferrably 160° to ensure it is safe for consumption.

To cook the meat to 160° one day, refrigerate it, and then finish cooking it later would take considerably more time, fuel, and energy than cooking it all at once and serve.

Like others, I would recommend cooking it in one session, rest and serve. But if time doesn't permit, cook it ahead of time and reheat to serve. You could keep the roast whole and reheat on the grill/smoker if presentation straight from the cooker is desired. Or pull/shred it ahead of time and reheat servings as needed.

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:49 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Well said Bob. When I posted, food safety wasn't even coming to mind. But you're 100% correct there.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:48 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Another vote for doing in advance and pulling and then store in the fridge and reheat. When I reheat, I always add a little bit of apple juice and give it another sprinkle of the rub mixed in. Always comes out great. This is the method I will be using next month for my son's graduation party.

Good Luck,

Buckeye Bob

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:26 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Buckeye Bob wrote:
Another vote for doing in advance and pulling and then store in the fridge and reheat. When I reheat, I always add a little bit of apple juice and give it another sprinkle of the rub mixed in. Always comes out great. This is the method I will be using next month for my son's graduation party.

Good Luck,

Buckeye Bob

Actually, the first time I discovered the "pull-and-freeze" method was when I cooked 14 pork shoulders for a July 4th party at a friend's restaurant, and only a dozen people showed up. We froze the rest and served it as a lunch special for the next five days and it went over very well (there were customers lined up around the corner all week). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 pm
d_holck well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
... I cooked 14 pork shoulders for a July 4th party at a friend's restaurant, and only a dozen people showed up.

... the other fools didn't know what they were missing...
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Return to General Discussion