Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best BBQ in Texas

Best BBQ in Texas

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:25 pm

We made a point to visit as many BBQ joints as possible while vacationing in Texas last September. We drove out of our way to try Coopers in Llano and were really disappointed. My brisket was about three fourths fat. We also didn't care for the picnic table indoor seating that seems to be popular in Texas. It's not that I'm unsociable I just don't care to stare at a stranger sitting across from me when I eat. Also, I love baked beans (made with brown sugar and molasses) with my BBQ and the boilded spiced beans they serve were not to my liking. We never made it to Lockhart but hope to when we vacation there again this year. We did eat at "The County Line" BBQ on the riverwalk in San Antonio and it was excellent. "Kin Folks" Texas style BBQ in Attica and Altoona Iowa are the best we've found in Iowa. They made the best pototo salad on this planet!

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:41 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Old Geezer wrote:
We also didn't care for the picnic table indoor seating that seems to be popular in Texas. It's not that I'm unsociable I just don't care to stare at a stranger sitting across from me when I eat.

I guess after dining in Europe I got used to sitting with strangers. But when I visited Smitty's we were a large group so we all more or less knew each other. I haven't made it to Cooper's or The County Line yet.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 pm
Vitalogy medium-rare
medium-rare

I think we've settled on Smitty's. I saw a show on the Travel Channel that featured a bit on Lockhart and Smitty's looked real good. It's going to be a Q filled day. Smitty's for lunch then Salt Lick for dinner. Can't wait to gain about 10 pounds tomorrow!

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 am

Any Mikeska disciples out there? :roll: Real sorry to hear Clem's quality has been on the decline over the years. Temple's my home town and I grew up with several of the Mikeskas eatin that 'Q ): You still can't beat that seasoning, though. I hear Tim's still got it goin on just fine in Taylor. Never been to El Campo so can't vouch for that place and its been years since I've been to Cyclone. I don't know if they're still even around.
Willy P
The title of my future cookbook:
"Here's what NOT to do!"
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Brinkmann 810 4-burner

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board DUMP-TRUCK BBQ! :D

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:08 pm
bleujean medium-rare
medium-rare

How about Rudy's? It is outside of San Antonio in Leon Springs. We really enjoyed it and it was a fun comfortable atmosphere. Any one else been there? Being from MN we don't have good bbq up here unless I do it myself (ribs in the smoker as I type!)
weber genesis, silver
weber kettle
brinkman smoker

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Anyone here ever try R.O.'s bbq just outside of Austin? I think its in Briar Cliff and close to Willie Nelsons place. In fact, he sometimes hangs out there. I was there about a year ago. The sides are fantastic and the brisket was OK. The time before that, I had the ribs and they were GREAT.

Apparently the real treat is the pie. They make the fresh everyday so you get whatever the pie lady wanted to make that day. :D
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint