Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ joint in KC

BBQ joint in KC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 pm
wallie raw
raw

The wifester and I will be in KC 3/20 for our Grandson's birthday. The DIL is haveing it catered by, I think, Oklahoma Joe BBQ. What is the 'do not miss' BBQ joint in KC. We are staying at the Hyatt downtown, and the party is in Overland Park.
Thanks,
EW
wallie

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board wallie! :D

I've eaten a a few places in K.C. over the last couple of years and to tell the truth, I like my cookin' better. :wink: But aside that... :lol:

I enjoyed eating at Famous Dave's with some friends and eating their sampler off a trash can lid. Arthur Bryant's is quite a popular place. I didn't care much for their sauce, but the food was good. L.C.'s is a hole-in-the-wall, small joint that is just my kind of place. The BBQ is sliced thin and doused with sauce though. If you go to L.C.s ask for the sauce on the side and be sure to get their beans. And Gate BBQ is a place we used to go to when I was young so I always enjoy going there just to hear them holler. I took my brother to Jack Stack for his birthday. The food is good but the "restaurant" is too upscale to be a BBQ joint. :wink:

I have written reviews for these places in this "Best BBQ Joint" forum if you care to look them up.

Hope the grandboy has a wonderful birthday and a fun visit with his grandparents! :D

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:33 am
nicneufeld well done
well done

My favorites are LC's and Jack Stack. The two could not be more different in ambience, but both are good. My experience with the brisket at LC's was that it was very thin, like Bob mentioned, but the two times I've gone over there I've gotten very little sauce on the sandwich. I guess it could depend on what employee fixes it for you.

Jack Stack, I like their ribs and beans particularly. More of a sit down restaurant, though I always get it to go. They have some closer to you but my favorite is the original in Martin City (basically southish, on the Missouri side).

Gates is my favorite sauce to buy at the store, because its cheapish, no 1, and the flavor has a nice celery seed tang to it, its miles above KC Masterpiece and the bland, McDonalds style sweet tomato BBQ sauce that seems to be everywhere. The place itself, I could take or leave. Good, just not that memorable.

There's a new place right across the street from LC's (down the road a bit) but I wasn't hugely fond of it when I tried it. I'm sure in Overland Park you'll find a lot of new, upscale, chain BBQ places, but I can't vouch for any of them.
22" Weber Kettle One-Touch Gold w/ Smokenator
2009 18.5" WSM
Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:48 pm

You're already getting catered by the best in the city. OK Joe's in my families mind is the best in the world, Probably because it is the closest to my own recipie but I dont have to clean up afterward. If you want another sampling then you have to hit LC's, Earl Quick's, and Gates. I have no idea why people rave so much about Famous Dave's. It's good, don't get me wrong, but its not really representative of KCBBQ. Jack Stack has the best beans in town hands down but their restaurants are way too upper class and their food always reminds me of a huge chain rather than a local dive like the original Smokestack in Martin City and off Prospect used to be.

Honestly get as many meats as you can from OK Joe's. The pork, both ribs and pulled, is perfect, the Brisket is really tender and flavorful and the sausage is really good as well. I've not tried their chicken but the chunks I've gotten from their chicken gumbo are really tasty. Even the sides are fantastic so you are truly in for a treat.

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Reverend Wolf! :D

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:07 pm
DaveinKC raw
raw

I think that Famous Dave's is ok, but it's nowhere near being on my short list for best bbq in KC. Granted I have not been to every bbq joint in town, but hands down my fav has got to be Gates. My mouth is watering just thinking about their brisket!

My wife and I also love Oklahoma Joe's. Everything there is good. My wife thinks they have the best burnt ends in town, I have them in a tie with Zarda's, which also has an awesome brisket!. For a side at Joes, try the Baked Beans, very spicy!

Hayward's is also good, so is Jack Stack. Personally I am not a huge fan of Arthur Bryant's. The past couple of times I've been there the brisket has been very disappointing. Their sausage is pretty good, though.

There
CG Duo w/ SFB

Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 am
KC Smoker rare
rare

You really cant go wrong with any of these. I go to at least 1 of these every few weeks and I always come out happy. Just dont go to K.C. Masterpiece.
CG Super Pro with SFB

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:49 pm
davewan rare
rare

KC Smoker wrote:
Just dont go to K.C. Masterpiece.

Can't anymore. Closed months ago.

My favorites:

LC's
Oklahoma Joe's
Fiorella's Jack Stack
Gates