Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Injection help???

Injection help???

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:27 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Just started reading all the posts here, seems like there are quite a few aficionados here. :P

Just bought hubby a turkey fryer and also a side firebox for his CharGriller smoker. Since this is all new territory for both of us "we" have been experimenting with both the smoker and turkey fryer. I have discovered that brining either poulty or pork is most excellent; the meat is so tender, moist and juicy.

I have also tried the injection method for the meat on both the smoker and the turkey fryer but have not been satisfied with the results, so far at least.

I tried using the Cajun injection sample that came with the turkey fryer but was not really satisfied with the flavor; I then tried the bottled marinade (teriyaki, caribbean jerk, lemon/pepper, etc) found at the local grocery store but the flavor seemed very strong in addition to being extremely thick consistency when you actually cut into the portion of meat that had been injected. Have tried it in not only turkey but also chicken and Cornish game hens.

Would anyone be able to suggest perhaps a recipe they have or possibly a link or two on the internet for some other injection liquids I might try? Any information you would be kind enough to post would be greatly appeciated.

Since hubby is the self proclaimed "Grill Surgeon" and no one can dethrone him (he thinks).
I would like to endevour to be the mistress of the smoker and turkey fryer and perhaps show him up just a "wee" bit. :lol:

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:05 am
stl-rich rare
rare

I inject turkey breast with a mixture of One cup honey, one cup dry white wine and one stick margerine. Then I smoke the bird with indirect heat.

For pork loin, I run some lo-cal Italian dressing thru a strainer - I inject the pork with the strained dressing and rub the outside of the loin with the solids. Then I rotisserie the pork over indirect heat with hickory smoke

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:58 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Here is a link to look at www.cajuninjector.com. They have several different brands/ideas to try, including a recipe section. Another link is www.barbecuen.com. Go to the recipe link for a lot of ideas.

I have used a Creole Butter Recipe from Chef Williams' (store bought) that is pretty good.

I guess the best thing to do is experiment to develop something to your taste, and make it fluid enough so that it can pass through the injector. Also, put the amount of marinade that you will be using in a separate container so as not to contaminate the entire jar.

There are a lot of good ideas here. The best thing to do is search the site. Good Luck..

Pete

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:25 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pet's right there are so many injections out there, keep trying until you find one that suits your tastes.

A few pointers I'll pass on.

1. If your making your own and it contains any of the larger herbs or sesonings after you've let you marinade take on the flavor strain the large bits off so as not to clog your injector.

2. when actually injecting the meat don't put all the marinade in the same spot. Don't stab the meat multiple times either. Pierce the meat once and angle the needle to different areas through the original hole. You'll loose less marinade this way and still get better coverage.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:56 am
dkirn well done
well done

I use the injections on chicken and turkey and if I do not make my own I will use a 50/50 mixture of the store bought injection sauce and a liquid (water, beer, etc). That seems to help the extreme flavors that you get in the area that has been injected. As far as making your own injection I use maranade recipes that I like and it works great.

Grand Scales advice about straining the large herbs is a huge tip. The first time I used an injector the whole thing blew up all over the kitchen due to a cloged piece of garlic! It took a while for me to try it again mainly since my wife hid the injector from me.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:50 pm
TOMP rare
rare

Would running the herbs in the coffee grinder make them fine enough for the injector? Also I've looked at injectors and there are many out there. Are some better then others? All opinion would be appreciated.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:14 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've never tried it but I doubt that grinding them would help much. Anything that is larger than the holes in the needle or anything that can clump to clog the holes should be strained first.
I would recommend an all metal injector. it will hold up better and last longer. I feel that they're easier to clean too. Until I busted it (my own fault, long story) I had one that actually injected in multiple directions out the tip of the needle. It worked great.

If you try the grinder let us know how it works.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:15 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Following on from a different thread (Thanksgiving Help!), I took all of your advice and did a test run with a turkey this weekend. I used an injector as I did not have time to brine. I used a store bought cajun, I forget the name, but the darn thing was delicious! Like Grand Scale said, make sure to rotate/move the injector to spread taste. Unfortunately there are no leftovers so I guess I have to wait for Thanksgiving to make it again, but this time I will "Go Big," to borrow a catchphrase!

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:26 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

If you use a coffee grinder to grind spices/herbs etc., you'll no longer want to use it for coffee. Get yourself a spice grinder instead. I use one on my Kitchen Aid.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:58 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I have a dedicated coffee grinder I use only for spices. Works great! I also love the Kitchen Aid w/ all it's attachements. I used mine to make sausage over the weekend!

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:35 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Cool TOMP, well then if you want to use fresh herbs, cook them with the injector sauce and then strain it with a fine mesh seive.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:36 pm
lostsoul rare
rare

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

After spending a bleary-eyed night on the net I now have quite a few recipes for injection marinade in my arsenal ... hehehe.

The suggestion about straining a premade marinade and cutting it with a fluid (beer, wine, water, etc) surely will lessen the learning curve.

I had no clue how many cajun injection recipes were out on the net!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:22 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

TOMP,

I have to agree with Grand Scale. Definitely go with an all metal injector. I have a plastic injector and do not care for it at all. It was given to me, so the price was right. While it gets the job done, I can see where an all metal type would be well worth it. Just my opinion..

Pete

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:22 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I plan on doing a turkey this weekend. I'll definetly be picking up an all metal injector. I'm stiil undecided on which marinade to use thought! Thanks for all the input!

Tom

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:10 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Tomp - Good luck with your turkey this weekend. Post your results and let us know which injection you went with.

Next

Return to General Discussion