Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion looking for rub and mops advise

looking for rub and mops advise

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:37 pm

HI, I'm new to smoking meats and I'm looking for rubs and mops to try on ham, turkey for thanksgiving and a round roast before than , and tips on smoking meats. I recently bought a vertical charcoal smoker and I'm ready to give it a try.

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:11 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Ham - this is not quite a rub as much as it is a glaze but , mustard, honey, ginger, cinnamon, and graham crackers. Mop with soda.

Turkey - You can use just about any rub on turkey. I would not mop a turkey as it would impede the development of a nice crisp skin. I would brine instead. There a number of fans of injection marinading on this forum as well but I have never tried it.

Round roast - If you are going to use a rub use a steak seasoning. I would not mop a roast but I might use a finishing glaze. I have used everyuthing from jams and jellies to honey, compound butters, steak sauce that I have reduced, mustards... Make sure that round roast doesn't cook past medium or you will have a tough piece of meat. I would also cook it at a higher temperature than smoking.

As for general tips...
1) Control you heat with airflow not with the amount of charcoal.
2) Write down everything you do for the first several tries. (I have a journal in which I record every step fo the way and crowd reaction.)
3) Temps - Smoking = 225, Roasting = 450, grilling 350-as hot as you can get.
4) Use lunp charcoal, perferably big pieces.
3) Know the difference
Live Different

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:09 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

I agree with Luke. Definitely do not want to mop a ham or round roast. I make a ham glaze with orange juice, mustard, brown sugar, a shot of amaretto. Works pretty well. FOr the roast, I use a port and raspberry glazing sauce I picked up in Ireland. I like that a lot. Good luck and let us know how it works!

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The best advise I can offer is run to the bookstore and buy Steve's book "Rubs, Sauces and Marinades". That will give you more ideas and options than you can ever use.
Plus its just a great book.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:06 am
dkirn well done
well done

I must agree with Grand Scale - Sauces, Rubs & Marinades is a great book to not only get recipes but learn how to create your own sauces. An excellent book well worth the small investment.

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:04 am

Luke wrote:
Ham - this is not quite a rub as much as it is a glaze but , mustard, honey, ginger, cinnamon, and graham crackers. Mop with soda.

Turkey - You can use just about any rub on turkey. I would not mop a turkey as it would impede the development of a nice crisp skin. I would brine instead. There a number of fans of injection marinading on this forum as well but I have never tried it.

Round roast - If you are going to use a rub use a steak seasoning. I would not mop a roast but I might use a finishing glaze. I have used everyuthing from jams and jellies to honey, compound butters, steak sauce that I have reduced, mustards... Make sure that round roast doesn't cook past medium or you will have a tough piece of meat. I would also cook it at a higher temperature than smoking.

As for general tips...
1) Control you heat with airflow not with the amount of charcoal.
2) Write down everything you do for the first several tries. (I have a journal in which I record every step fo the way and crowd reaction.)
3) Temps - Smoking = 225, Roasting = 450, grilling 350-as hot as you can get.
4) Use lunp charcoal, perferably big pieces.
3) Know the difference

response
Thanks for the great advise. I'm looking forward to finally start cooking on our vertical smoker today 11/15/03. My wife is going out to buy stuff for rub and mop and some ribs and slab of meat . I want to trya couple trial runs before cooking the big thanksgiving dinner

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:25 am

stripegrill wrote:
I agree with Luke. Definitely do not want to mop a ham or round roast. I make a ham glaze with orange juice, mustard, brown sugar, a shot of amaretto. Works pretty well. FOr the roast, I use a port and raspberry glazing sauce I picked up in Ireland. I like that a lot. Good luck and let us know how it works!

response

Thanks again for the great advise. I like the ingredients you use. I'm finally trying my vertical smoker for the first time today 11/15/03. I didn't cook on our grill over the summer due to too many camping trips . I'll let everybody know how it works out .

Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:44 am

Grand Scale wrote:
The best advise I can offer is run to the bookstore and buy Steve's book "Rubs, Sauces and Marinades". That will give you more ideas and options than you can ever use.
Plus its just a great book.

response

Thanks for the advise. I told my wife " what I want for christmas" the How to Grill book and the Rubs, Sauces and Marinades. Neighbors laugh when they see me cooking on the grill / during the winter , it gets a little cold in the northern/west central part of maryland but I dont mind. besides , the wife feels safer me cooking outside the house .

Return to General Discussion