Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Deer shoulder

Deer shoulder

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:32 pm
BryonsBoas rare
rare

Tossing a full deer shoulder on the grill tomorrow. Its between 5 - 10 pounds. Its a first for me so hopefully I don't mess it up.

Any recommendations?
Bry

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 am
Trollby well done
well done

Watch the temps, Venison is very lean and will dry out if over cooked.

Are you In-direct, smoking or direct grilling the Venison?

I like to cook mine until Medium Rare and pull. Slice thin and good eats are plenty.

I have not tried to cook it like "pulled beef" if that is what you want to try.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:19 pm
BryonsBoas rare
rare

Grilling In-direct. By the time i got to the front shoulders, I was tired so I tossed both into bags to be grilled whole. We noticed the deer was really , REALLY lean so I'll pick up some bacon to lay on top.
Bry

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 pm
Trollby well done
well done

BryonsBoas wrote:
Grilling In-direct. By the time i got to the front shoulders, I was tired so I tossed both into bags to be grilled whole. We noticed the deer was really , REALLY lean so I'll pick up some bacon to lay on top.

Even with bacon on it be sure not to over cook it.

It can dry out really fast, but if done Medium rare to medium you should be good.

Atleast that is how my family likes it.

If over done a little or a little dry I make an Au Juice with beef stock (or veggie stock) this even works great if juicy since like a prime rib with out the fat.

I like the Au Juice for making Venison French Dip for the left overs too.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:55 pm
BigE medium
medium

I agree on no more done than medium, I would even go as far to say that perhaps you could inject it much like a turkey. I did some cottontail rabbit legs on the grill last winter, injected with melted butter and garlic, wrapped in bacon and grilled till just done.

Very surprised at the moist tender meat as I was taught that rabbit should be fried and smothered in gravy and cooked into submission.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'd agree with the rest of the folks here - try to keep it around medium. And get ready for a treat, because you're in for some good eatin'! I just had some venison for lunch and I should have packed twice as much - I wound up giving a fair bit away. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:21 am
BryonsBoas rare
rare

It turned out very nice. Naturally I had to leave once I got it on the grill and naturally the oak chunks flared u while I was gone but it didn't burn. I laid bacon over it for the last 30 minutes and it was tender & juicy when i cut into it.

Bry

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:08 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Looks very good. :D

Bacon can really cause flare-ups. I've had a couple doozys. :lol: As I've said before though, nothing wrong with crispy bacon. Mmmmmmmm. Yours looks perfect.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:12 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Looks Tasty!

Like I said I really love the left-overs as a French Dip.

Nice hard roll, thin slices of Venison and provolone cheese....

Second thought, I'm on my way for some left overs 8)

Return to General Discussion