Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best BBQ in Texas

Best BBQ in Texas

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

c0wb0y this thread is full of good recommendations but most are from 1 to 2 hours away from San Antonio. Are you looking for anything specific?

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:16 pm

I was hoping to find some beef brisket and beef ribs close to the downtown area.
I will be staying at the Riverwalk Plaza Hotel 108 Vilita St.
I would be up to traveling about an hour away since I have no idea where I am going.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm not familiar with San Antonio but you can easily find Luling, Lockhart, and Llano (order of distance) using www.mapquest.com and get directions.

Check to see if any of the restaurants you visit have beef clod. :D

Of the cities mentioned, I've been to Lockhart. The resturants are on the main drag through town.

These links may help:
http://www.lockhart-tx.org/web98/visito ... ftexas.asp
http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/luling.php
http://www.coopersbbq.com/

Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:06 am
stlouBBQ well done
well done

Anyone been to Harlon's BBQ? I tried one, in of all places, Hobby airport when I passed through Houston. It was great. I could flake the brisket using only the plastic fork provided in airport restaurants. The sauce was some of the best I have had, too. I'm just interested in any feedback about them.

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:42 pm
drifter379 medium-rare
medium-rare

If your gonna buy BBQ then The Salt Lick in Driftwood is the best.

As far as the place in Temple They might be talking about Choephs which is actuall in Belton. I hope they are not talking about Clem Mikeskas. Thats on the same level as Rudys.

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:44 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Do what I call my Texas barbecue tour every year in early Spring. My brother-in-law lives out near Fischer - 20 minutes or so northwest of San Marcos - we stay in San Marcos and this puts us in perfect location to do places from Austin to San Antonio - Luling, Lockhart, Elgin - can't say I have a favorite, but actually partial to Chisholm Trail in Lockhart. Awesome barbecue everywhere but I love the sausage from this part of the country.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:06 pm
btuckertx raw
raw

DaHorns wrote:
I will be stopping by either Kreuz's or City Market on my way down to Rockport this afternoon.......I always stop by on the way down. Has anyone been to Smitty's? I heard its owned by Kreuz's estranged sister, and is just as good if not better than Kreuz's. It's located in the old Kreuz's building just down the road from Kreuz's new location.

My wife and I made a trip to San Antonio last Nov (2007). Drooling for some good barbecue, we went to Lockhart, and wound up at Smitty's. We'd eaten there a couple of times, when it was Kreuz, and had eaten at Kreuz's new joint a couple of times.

I have to say we loved Smitty's (next time we go, we're bringing a cooler, and taking home a bunch of their sausage), and because the atmosphere is so much more "BBQ joint" than Kreuz's, we'll probably make a habit of going to Smitty's from now on.

My question is: what about Black's? Anybody eaten there?
Bill

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:35 pm
Vitalogy medium-rare
medium-rare

Has anyone eaten at Hard Eight in Coppell, TX? Me and a co-worker ate there today and it was pretty good. Kind of expensive. Anyone else been there? Thoughts?

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:59 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

A bit far for me to travel except maybe for a specail occasion. Speaking of.... Is our event planner gonna schedule another Q-Joint gathering? :wink:

Hope ya'll survived that terrific storm last evening. It seemed to be worse to the north, south, and west of us.

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:05 pm
Vitalogy medium-rare
medium-rare

Not sure where in TX you are Bob, but according to their website there is one in Brady and another in Stephenville. Not sure if any of those are any closer.

Post Thu May 22, 2008 7:47 pm

i thought this was the best BBQ around http://www.flickr.com/photos/scooterfox/457445936/

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 am
redraider0629 medium-rare
medium-rare

Mesquite Bean in Merkel TX, between Abilene and Sweetwater.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:09 pm
Vitalogy medium-rare
medium-rare

Me and a couple of friends are taking a road trip to Lockhart this weekend. Where should we go? Smitty's, Kruez, or Black's?

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 pm
drifter379 medium-rare
medium-rare

Take a detour down 77 and go to Snows in Lexington. Voted #1 in Texas monthly magazine. The brisket isnt quite as good as mine but its a close second. Of course I'm a little biased.
Be sure to get there early I believe they usually sell out by 10:30 and once its gone they close. You can call ahead and order also I believe.

http://www.snowsbbq.com/map.html

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've been to Smitty's and Kreuz. Both are good, in fact both started out as the same restaurant.

But I prefer Smitty's because it is in the original location and has all the history. If you go in the back door, you stand right next to the pit where the food is cooking. 8)

Kreuz is in a new location just down the road. If you prefer a newer building & "cleaner" atmosphere then this may be your choice. The food is comparable.

Haven't been to Black's.

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint