Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller mods!!!!

Chargriller mods!!!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:21 pm
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

Hey everyone I hope to get a lot of feedback good or bad since this is my first mod project I am learning as I go so here is my outlaw, my first offset smoker, stock. You can click on pictures to enlarge them :wink:

I found it had some leaking problems, and even temp problems. With the help of you people and some investigating I came up with this.
I put stove gasket in between the sfb and cc and put a basket in
ImageImage

Then put gasket around the cookin chamber

and then fabricated a baffle out of 1/4 inch steel and used copper flashing for mini extension
ImageImage

Then I installed 2 thermometors

I also wanted to make it portable so I got a hitch kit but chargriller said it was not made for sfb attached so I decided to test that theory I removed the smoker from its frame and hung it in the air using straps to find center of the smoker then I marked the center point and drilled holes and attached cradle then I drilled holes and bolted angle iron to cooking chamber and sfb and welded 1/2 inch square bar to beef it up here is the bottomside view

then painted

then I didnt like the Idea of unbolting and bolting to the frame and having holes in cc so I made a quick disconnect system just bolt angle iron to cooking chamber then drill 5/8 hole through angle iron and tube frame using unibit. I got angle and quick connect pins at Lowes
ImageImage

Now I just have to pull 4 pins and in seconds I can put it to the back of my hitch

I got a few more things I am thinking about Like maybe adding a second stack and making it a reverse flow when needed, but making it so that the heat plate can be removed, and used as a grill, also conventional smoker when I want, and maybe add gas burner to sfb as an option??? Plus Im trying to figure out how I can use all 3 cooking levels and fully load that baby with BBQ I looking forward to any comments and suggestions any of you great folks have, hope to hear from you guys soon and get a lot of replies, always trying to learn thanks everyone and happy bbq

Hi everyone this is part 2 I would just like to say thanks for making me feel welcome I did a trail run today it was 28 degrees this morning I did a couple of more minor mod extended the chimney and made it so it could be removable and turned to go away from the wind I cut it off an old backhoe then brought it to a muffler shop so it would fit snug over the smockstack Image

then I took 2 baskets from lowes cut them and put them together to make 1 large basket it works great It just clears the ashpan so i can pull ash pan without disurbing the fire!!
Image Image
It gave me a long burn without touching anything so I think I will be able to do an overnighter :wink:
I just did chicken on this run since I didnt know how it was going to act. I had a 20 to 30 degree difference left to right, so I will be needing tuning plates But it was fun to finally get her going. Cold, but fun Image Image Image

One thing I did notice was my sfb vent starts to curl outward when heating up has any of you have that happened?? Love tohere your input
Happy bbq
Ken
modded charbroil kettle
chargriller outlaw w/sfb fully modded http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=17034

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 am

Where did you get your gasket material and where do you think that I can get it around here? I live in Winston Salem, NC.
CG Outlaw w/ SFB
Char Griller gas
UDS on the way

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:15 am
blackduckbuck medium-rare
medium-rare

That's awesome....I'm with Cueing in Carolina, where did you get the gasket material? As far as what I've seen so far, that looks like the best way to seal it up.

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:01 am
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

Hey Cueing and blackduck I got the gasket at a little place that sells wood stoves and pellet stoves I paid $2.50 a foot and it works great! 8) If you have no luck let me know .
Ken
modded charbroil kettle
chargriller outlaw w/sfb fully modded http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=17034

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 am
blackduckbuck medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks CAJUNKEN....I'll take a look around and see if I can find some!

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:14 pm

CAJUNKEN, I have looked around here and am having no luck. Is there anywhere on the internet that I can find and buy this stuff?
CG Outlaw w/ SFB
Char Griller gas
UDS on the way

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 pm
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

I havent seen it online if I did it was very expensive
Cueing in Carolina wrote:
CAJUNKEN, I have looked around here and am having no luck. Is there anywhere on the internet that I can find and buy this stuff?
modded charbroil kettle

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

Let me know if you have any troubles
blackduckbuck wrote:
Thanks CAJUNKEN....I'll take a look around and see if I can find some!
modded charbroil kettle

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 am
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

Cueing in Carolina wrote:
pm me
modded charbroil kettle

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Really nice work, CAJUNKEN! I especially like the nice job on the gaskets, as well as the quick disconnect system.

But what really looks good is that smokestack! Did you find that it affected the cook in any way? I read somewhere that higher stacks result in increased draw through the unit and reduced burn times.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:05 am
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

WELL I USE THE STACK ONLY ON WINDY DAYS OR IF I PUT MY GAS BURNER IN AND ARE USING CHIPS OR PELLETS TO SMOKE IT DOESNT SEEM TO SHORTEN THE BURN BUT I HAVENT USED IT ENOUGH TO TELL

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Really nice work, CAJUNKEN! I especially like the nice job on the gaskets, as well as the quick disconnect system.

But what really looks good is that smokestack! Did you find that it affected the cook in any way? I read somewhere that higher stacks result in increased draw through the unit and reduced burn times.
modded charbroil kettle

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:04 am
eon medium
medium

aw I need to do that but im too lazy and not much of a handy man
my sfb can barely even "warm up" the far side of the grill

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:35 pm
CAJUNKEN rare
rare

eon wrote:
aw I need to do that but im too lazy and not much of a handy man
my sfb can barely even "warm up" the far side of the grill
Hey Eon did you try turning your charcoal grate upside down?
modded charbroil kettle

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 pm
burgers rare
rare

How did you attach the gasket material to the grill?
TANSTAAFL

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 pm
Blazer well done
well done

Burgers wrote:
How did you attach the gasket material to the grill?

Ditto. :?

AHHH, never mind. I remember. I checked out some gasket rope the other day for the trailer I bought. The rope comes in a kit with a bottle of cement/glue, or you can buy the gasket rope by the foot and a bottle of cement/glue separately. All you need to know is the measurements of what you are trying to cover.

Next

Return to General Discussion