Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Holiday Feast

Holiday Feast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:46 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Glad to see that my idea is in the lead (just kidding) - it worked very well for us and we still have people asking when we are going to have another "kabob party" like it is the new and hip way to party now. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:35 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Back to the drawing board!
My wife put the kebash to the kebabs.
"There is too much prep work involved, its a great idea, but NO"

So Dkirn you've been bumped out of first, by Luke's Bone in Prime Rib. :wink:

So thanks for the help guys, keep the ideas coming.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:03 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Wow! We have kebobs quite often and I always thought that skewering them was the most time consuming part. Build your own is still a great idea! However, the wife has spoken...

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:51 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You know Bob I agree with you.
I thought that with a build your own theme that the skewering issue would be void but like you said...the wife has spoken.

And I know better than to argue...I just lokk stupid.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:08 pm
chagan well done
well done

Please, oh please, tell me that you have tried the Buffa-q wings. I know that they would be a great appetizer for the kids and drunk men alike. These are the most flavorfull wings that I have ever had the pleasure to eat, let alone make! I am going to make some more wings for the tailgating event this weekend, I am also gonna throw some thighs into the mix. (some people don't like wings (?) and there is more meat to quickly get to on the thighs without the requirement of all the fancy tongue maneuvering ) I know that you said no birds, but this is not the main course so I figured that you could slip it in unnoticed. I follow the recipe exactly as stated, marinate overnight and for the hot sauce I use tobasco chipoltle(sp)- gives it a nice smokey, not too too hot flavor. You may use the finishing sauce, or omit it is good either way (I usually omit). Get yourself some Ken's steak house blue cheese dressing for dippinig (although, I have yet to coax anyone to alter the wings in their prestine glory) and some celery sticks and you're good to go. It's simple quick and will be a huge hit. If I'm wrong, I buy a dozen chile grills, and you can pick out the most unbecoming shape!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:10 pm
chagan well done
well done

I got my second flame on the previous post, so I must be right. :lol:

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:12 pm
chagan well done
well done

Grand Scale- question:

Are you in the central part of South PA, or the south part of Central PA?

Bauwls not bolls :D

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:26 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Chagan - I'm in York County. You decide. :D

As for the wings, I haven't tried them yet, a sin I know, but here's my delima.

I am a wing nut. Period, pure and simple, end of discussion. I've been making wings longer than I've been grilling. In college I would make wings for fundraisers and my personal best was an 80 pound party. Thats alot of wings. So not to break my arm patting myself on the back but my recipie is good, real good, it is based on the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY (the origin of wings). And its been refined over years of practice. So my problem is when I want wings I want them my way. And my way doesn't include grilling.

I know Steve's look good, and I will try them sometime.
But I'll work up the bauwls to try soon.

Perhaps for the appetizer.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:52 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Nothing impresses, or tastes as good as a bone-in rib roast. Ahead of time, cut the roast off of the bones, spread your herb paste on the bones, tie the meat back in place, cover with remaining paste and cook indirectly to about 135. Let rest for 20 minutes, and voils! Perfect medium-rare prime rib. Cut cords and carve.

MMM-MMMM!

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:03 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I'm with Grand Scale on the wings - I am a wing guy myself and any time that I have thought about making Steven's wings I start thinking about wings and the only thing I want is my recipe.

Grand Scale - are you willing to share your great recipe for wings? I would be very interested. I was in NY about a year ago and went to the Anchor Bar and ate my fill of wings and have craved that taste ever since and have not been able to get close enough myself.

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:34 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

dkirn wrote:
Well that is something that I forgot about - we had a party this spring where I had maranated all of the meat and veggies and placed everything in separate dishes and let our guests make their own kabobs and then bring them out to the grill where I cooked them and then added the BBQ sauce of their choice. It was great since everyone could make their kabobs with exactly what they like and it was a different experience for everyone. And as an added plus my wife and I did not have to spend all that time putting everything on skewers!

Dkirn,

That really is a clever way to do a kabob dinner. I'm sure that everyone was happy with their kabob. Especially when someone is always complaining about too much of, or not enough of an item on the skewer. Since everyone is different this sure is a great way to satisfy the crowd...not to mention reducing the preparation time.

Pete

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:06 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:12 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale,

For some reason, I haven’t been able to post here recently. Hmm? For a change try a smoke goose. Now my experience is not with a wild goose, but one from the local butcher. Brine the thing and then smoke for about 5 hours, until it is falling off the bones. Wow…………

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:31 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I could share my wing recipie, but if I tell you then I'd have to kill you.
I post it here then everyone starts making wing then I'm out of a job!

Let me think about it.

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:57 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale,

The recipe for the wings does sound good. Add me to the list requesting that you share it. Chances are I won't be traveling to Buffalo, NY., in the near future. You know, in reading many of the stories in Steven's BBQ USA, many people started out with a single recipe and went on to become famous...This could be your chance!!

Pete

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion