Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion An early start to my smoking weekend

An early start to my smoking weekend

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02 pm
Chris35 well done
well done

I'm taking tomorrow and friday off work so why not get an early start to the weekend I picked up a 13 lb brisket on my why home and it's been on for about hour. I plan to let this one cook at 235 until 195 and we'll see how it turns out. This seems for me to be the hardest cut of meat to Q but one of these days I'm going to get it right. I didn't do anything special other than rub it down real good with some bad byron's and for this one I will be using mesquite for smoke. Wish me luck
Large BGE
Char-Griller Pro/SFB

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:03 pm
tpizel medium-well
medium-well

Good luck, have fun, and post results!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 am
Michigan Fats well done
well done

I took Friday off as well and I got 2 chuck roasts sitting in the fridge to smoke up for some pulled beef. I figure if I wake up early enough. I got a lot to do around the house so I firgure I will have the meat on around 7ish.
Al

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Brisket isn't my strong suit either, and I think not cooking them very often has something to do with that. One thing I've never tried with brisket is foiling at 160* to finish. Next one I cook I'm gonna try that just to see how much of a difference that makes on the end result.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:47 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Chris35 wrote:
This seems for me to be the hardest cut of meat to Q but one of these days I'm going to get it right.

I hope today is that day, Chris35. Good luck, and let us know how things turn out! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 pm
Chris35 well done
well done

Yes!!!! Success at last.

Today was the day!!!!! Finally I cooked one that turned out perfect, tender and juice and the mesquite really added a nice smoke flavor. It cooked for a total of 15 hours till it hit 195 I then foiled it and wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for 4 hours. Even after 4 hours in the cooler it was still really hot. I didn't foil this during the cook. Ohhh this going to be good tonight.

I almost forgot to mention I got up this morning at 5 am and it was 32 outside so I stuck my head out the back door and the aroma coming from the egg was awesome.

Large BGE
Char-Griller Pro/SFB

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:18 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great pics, Chris35 - looks like you managed to get it right this time! :D

Oh - and by comparison, it was 8°F at my place when I went to start the car this morning, and now it's up to somewhere around 12°F. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:22 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Looks fantastic Chris. Congrats on the success.

BTW, if it makes you guys feel any better it was a downright frigid 50* here when I woke up :lol: I just walked out of the office to go to our other shop across the street wearing jeans & a t-shirt.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:27 pm
Chris35 well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

Oh - and by comparison, it was 8°F at my place when I went to start the car this morning, and now it's up to somewhere around 12°F. :D

Alright now that's just too cold. That would make it hard to even get out of bed in the morning. Stay warm
Large BGE
Char-Griller Pro/SFB

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 pm
MasteringTheFlame User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Nice work on the brisket Chris, looks like it turned out great.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 pm
Chris35 well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
Looks fantastic Chris. Congrats on the success.

BTW, if it makes you guys feel any better it was a downright frigid 50* here when I woke up :lol: I just walked out of the office to go to our other shop across the street wearing jeans & a t-shirt.

We did manage to hit 61 today. :P
Large BGE
Char-Griller Pro/SFB

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:00 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

We get down to 61 sometimes :lol:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:11 pm
mikes rare
rare

Looks like a great cook. After looking at your photos it appears that you are slicing with the grain and not against? Could be wrong here. How you slice a brisket is pretty important imo. The muscles run at least 2 different ways depending on weather or not you are cutting the lean end or larger more fatty end. Still man I am glad your cook was a good one! What a way to start your weekend for sure.

Mikes
Life is too short to smoke bad cigars.

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Looks very tasty.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:53 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Chris35 wrote:
I almost forgot to mention I got up this morning at 5 am and it was 32 outside so I stuck my head out the back door and the aroma coming from the egg was awesome.

I'll bet there are legitimate scientific explanations involving temperatures, relative humidity, air density, etc. but for whatever reason(s) the smell of cooking meat seems to be more noticeable in colder weather. Nice job!

Brad

Next

Return to General Discussion