Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Simple Chicken Rub Suggestion

Simple Chicken Rub Suggestion

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:58 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Sometimes when I have some chicken (parts or whole) to grill, I don't feel like or have time to make a rub for it. I used Old Bay Seasoning at one of these times and it has become one of our favorite rubs. I put a generous coating on the skin and on the meat side of parts, and on and under the skin of a whole chicken. Delicious!

I also use Emeril's Essence as a rub. It's easy for me because I always keep some around for other dishes. Don't buy it, make your own from the recipie available with almost all of Emeril's recipies on www.foodtv.com or on www.emeril.com.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:40 pm
chagan well done
well done

I know that Old Bay is great for a crab boil, but I never tried it on chicken. I will give it a try. Usually, something that works well with fish, can also be used on pork and chicken as well. Nice Idea, always looking to try something new. Cheers.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:09 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I frequently use both Old Bay and Emeril's on Vegetables as well.

Home fried potatoes with Old Bay just can't be beat.

On my dinner table we have the salt (sea - grinder), pepper (blend - grinder), Old Bay, Emeril's and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Any of these can be transported grill side with great results!

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:50 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Here is a simple rub with a varation that I use on chicken a lot. Be careful, the tumeric will burn black if you are not careful in grilling.

TUMERIC or CARDAMOM RUB - great on chicken especially grilled chicken thighs.

1 tbs fresh ground black pepper - less if you want less spice
1 tbs kosher salt - less if you want to be healthier
2 tbs granulated garlic
2 tbs granulated onion
2 tbs turmeric - or
1 tbs ground cardamom

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:55 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Thanks for the info on the Old Bay - I use it on everything seafood that I fix, but have never tried it on chicken until now - fantastic!!

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:23 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Great idea, I'm Baltimore born and bred (don't blame me, I couldn't choose where I was born) so it was a staple on our table. I'ts given me the idea to make an injectable out of it. I'll let ya know, I'm sure it will be great!

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:34 pm
chagan well done
well done

Just tried Old Bay on a whole chicken last night- fantastic. A few nights ago tried it on some thick pork chops (1 inch plus)- coated the chops in Old Bay, put some olive oil and a slab of butter in a nonstick pan and seared all sides (including the edges) transferred the chops to a 350 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes- OUTSTANDING! Thanks again.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:59 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I know its not a grill secret but you said something about pan frying that I only learned not to long ago. So I'm going to draw attention to it.
When pan frying use your olive oil first to begin cooking your meat/fish/chicken then as it approaches doneness add your butter to give it that nice golden brown and great flavor.
The oil has a higher brown/flash point than the butter so it cooks better but the better browns the food and flavors nicer.
Simple idea and boy what a difference.

It makes me sad to think of all the trout that suffered before I knew this.

Return to General Discussion