Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wild Game

Wild Game

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

As I sat eating a few bbq'd quail this weekend it occured to me that this may be a good topic. I'm sure I'm not the only hunter out there who like to grill his kill.

What are everyone's favorite ways to grill wild game?

Please don't limit this to deer.

I know I'm very partial to the birdies myself. Phesant, quail, chuckar, duck, goose, and dove are all common to my table.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:31 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It occured to me that I should start this one out with one of my own:

My go-to recipie for bird is not fancy and quite simple and delicious.

I marinate the skinless birds/parts in italian dressing. Wrap them in bacon and grill them over low heat.

Not Fancy but quick and easy.

This is why I'm curious what others are using. I know there's more to life than Italian dressing and bacon.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:08 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I personally do not have any experience with the "birdies", but I do cook venison (thats dear meat for all of the southerners) quite a bit. My favorite is a tenderloin steak with simply coarse salt and fresh course ground pepper with a simple gravy with a little red wine.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:20 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

My wild game grilling consists mainly of whitetail venison, and elk. Nothing too fancy, just the simple grilling of steaks, burgers, and grilled onions. I grill pretty much the same as I would beef. I looked up a website that I noticed on a previous post, www.barbecuen.com. There is a "recipes" link at the top of the page. It has all kinds of grill recipes for wild game including, pheasant, rabbit, wild turkey, roasted goose, venison, elk and antelope just to name a few. Seems like some pretty interesting ideas. Hope this helps..

Pete

(web site address corrected from www.barbequen.com to www.barbecuen.com)
Last edited by hickory pete on Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pete: I'm going to call you "Sneaky Pete" from now on. :P
The url above sure looks like its in German to me!!
It sounds like a great site but unfortunately my german or whatever that language is just doesn't exist. I'm just a simple griller from Pennsyltucky.

Did you miss type the url?

I hope so it sounded like just what I'm looking for.

Judging by the responses to this url, it sounds like all our game grilling could use a little zest and flair.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:33 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Oh, it's German.
Thank goodness. I thought my coffee had fermented.

www.barbecuen.com/

A direct copy of the url from another site.

Try this one.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:03 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

AAHHH Much Better.
Thanks

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:10 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
Pete: I'm going to call you "Sneaky Pete" from now on. :P
The url above sure looks like its in German to me!!
It sounds like a great site but unfortunately my german or whatever that language is just doesn't exist. I'm just a simple griller from Pennsyltucky.

Did you miss type the url?

I hope so it sounded like just what I'm looking for.

Judging by the responses to this url, it sounds like all our game grilling could use a little zest and flair.

Grand Scale, and All,

That was a typo on my part. The web address is www.barbecuen.com. I can't believe that I did that without checking. Thanks Yardburner for the correction...sorry for any confusion I don't understand German either!!

Pete

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:16 pm
Big Pappa rare
rare

I have had great success cooking Deer tenderloin in packets. Take a disposable aluminum tray and line it with Aluminum foil with enough excess to seal it up on the top. Take your meat an place it in the foil, cut up some potatos, carrots, onion and whatever else you like and place it in there as well. Then put in a combination of water, Dales, and whostishaire (Spelling wrong I know). I cook by taste so I can not tell you how much of each but it is enough to cover the meat about half way. Seal this up and place it on the grill at about 250-350 fro about an hour or so. It comes out oh so tender and yummy.

I know it is not true grilling but I like it.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:49 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Does anyone have any marinades or rubs that they use on venison? I just use salt and pepper but I am looking for something alittle different.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:46 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

STeves basic BBQ rub works quite well on venison. Of course, I have a few of my own tweaks but it works great on deer.

On ducks, I have found that I much prefer store bought as opposed to ones I get from my neighbor on occasion. I've yet to have a wild one provide more than a few bites while the store bought ones usually have enough meat to actually feed a couple.

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Tell your neighbor to stop shooting the skinny ones... :wink:

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:27 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Tell your neighbor that those birds sitting on the power lines are not ducks!! :lol:

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:40 am
Airfoils well done
well done

lol, well they are ducks alright and from what I understand they are decent size for wild ones. Maybe I should ask him for geese instead.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thats a darn good idea!

All joking aside, if you take a wild skinless goose breast, marinate it, smoke it, and slice it thin, you will almost think you're eating a london broil.
Goose breast is a dark meat, very lean when the skin is off. Taking the skin off also reduces the gaminess that some people don't like. But the structure of the meat is very similar to that of beef.

One of my favorite meals!

If you can get goose breasts out of you neighbor...DO IT!!

Next

Return to General Discussion