Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sand in the bottom of a CG

Sand in the bottom of a CG

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:26 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

Has anyone ever lined the bottom of thier cooking chamber with foil then sand or dry clay?
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes, I've done this using a foil pan full of sand. However, there's a less messy idea: buy a couple of firebricks or even regular bricks from your local home center or fireplace store and wrap them in foil. They hold heat very well.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:47 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

okay,actually I was wondering if this would make cleaning up the drippings any easier.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:02 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I think cleaning greasy bricks is easier than cleaning greasy sand ...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:01 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

phillyjazz wrote:

Yeah - it sure is. Mainly because it's easy to wrap bricks in foil to keep the grease off. Wrapping a pile of sand in foil is a whole lot tougher... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:12 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

LOL,. :lol: ....point made,this is why I ask,I figured somebody has probably tried it.Just how long has some of you on this board been doing this.You have an answer for everything so far.. :D

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:15 pm

phillyjazz wrote:

With my bi-focals, I don't know if I could see those tiny little grains to be able to pick them up and wipe them off. I could probably see the bricks okay.
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 pm
d_holck well done
well done

RaidersoftheLostGrill wrote:
phillyjazz wrote:

With my bi-focals, I don't know if I could see those tiny little grains to be able to pick them up and wipe them off. I could probably see the bricks okay.

First, ya get yourself some little tiny tweezers. And then some little tiny paper towels. And a whole lot of time... and a couple of those jewelers' lenses... so your eyes look like :shock:

Seriously, though, I've been using foil wrapped around a couple regular bricks, and it's been working just fine.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:07 pm
Def_Munky well done
well done

I don't know that lining the MC with foil and a layer of sand would make things easier, as now you not only have to remove the foil, but a layer of greasy sand as well. Plus there may be an issue with possible flammability of the sand after it has soaked up the grease since the CG will no longer be draining it.

Lining the MC would certainly help, just poke a hole where the drain is in the bottom of the chamber. Then use the foil wrapped bricks which if placed right will still have a channel underneath them for grease to drain from.

For my CG, I have a small plastic dustpan I use to scrape off the gunk that builds up in the bottom of the MC and a plastic scraper to help "sweep" the stuff into the dustpan. The scrapings stay in the walled dustpan and I can just dump them in the trash. You don't want anything too hard to scrape the inside of the MC with, as you could scrape off the seasoning built up there and leave spots open to rust, so plastic works just fine.
CG Super Pro w/o SFB

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:31 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Def_Munky wrote:
For my CG, I have a small plastic dustpan I use to scrape off the gunk that builds up in the bottom of the MC and a plastic scraper to help "sweep" the stuff into the dustpan. The scrapings stay in the walled dustpan and I can just dump them in the trash. You don't want anything too hard to scrape the inside of the MC with, as you could scrape off the seasoning built up there and leave spots open to rust, so plastic works just fine.

I use a similar method. I have a couple of those plastic scrapers and I use a small one and a large one for cleaning the MC. But before I start scraping I'll dust the MC with a bit of sawdust from the shop. The sawdust absorbs the grease very well so all I need to do is sweep or vacuum up the scrapings after that. Normally I just use my Shop Vac as it's the one closest to the grill, and it's quicker than sweeping it up.

Return to General Discussion