Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Neely's in Memphis

Neely's in Memphis

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:50 pm
BIG J raw
raw

Has anyone been to Neely's? How good? What's good? I watch their Food Network show on Sat. mornings, but they rarely do barbeque on the show. I suppose with the numerous Bobby Flay grilling/BBQ programs, they feel a focus only on Q would be limiting. Thanks.

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:46 pm
birdfan raw
raw

We passed through Memphis a couple of weeks ago and ate there. I wasn't overly impressed. My wife and I ordered a sampler platter (beef, turkey, pulled pork, ribs), baked beans and cole slaw. The rolls included came straight out of a grocery store package of rolls. The sides were good. I had already tried making the spicy cole slaw recipe off of the food network site and it was good, but I already knew it would be. The baked beans had a good smokey flavor to them, not much along the lines of extra spice. The pulled pork was very good, as was the beef (what they called it, but it was beef briske), the ribs were fair at best and the turkey was just not good at all. The turkey had kind of a funky taste to it and no flavor added by the seasoning or smoke. The ribs were a little dry and didn't have a lot of flavor to them either, they were OK, just not what I expected. The pork was tasty and well cooked and seasoned. Had signs of a nice smoke ring. The beef was also tasty, hot and tender.

We ate at a place called Corkys the next day which was 10 times better all around. The only thing I didn't like about this stop was the baked beans tasted like they opened a can and put them in the bowl. Rolls were freshly made and warm. Ordered the ribs dry. They had a heavy coating of seasoning on the outside, and they hadn't pulled the membrane, but the flavor was great and they were falling off the bone. The pulled pork was also very good.

Another good place in the Memphis area is Tops. They are far from upscale, but their Q is very good.

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:16 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board birdfan! :D

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:39 pm
birdfan raw
raw

Thanks

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:52 pm
bugahabuc medium
medium

yeah, welcome birdman.....he's not shy, comes out swinging.
Not impressed with the Neely show, so, now I have a more fodder for my lack of interest in anything they cook.

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:17 am
birdfan raw
raw

I was taping their shows with Media Center, but have since canceled that series. Like I said though, I did try their cole slaw recipe and thought it was great, but I've since pitched any of the bbqing recipes I had printed out to try (rib rub, sauce). I was unimpressed with both live and in person.
Brinkmann Smoke King (modified) and Gourmet
Weber Standard and Smokie Joe

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 am
Michigan Fats well done
well done

I ate at Corky's once as well. It was OK, my wife like the rub on the ribs. One thing I am truly realizing is that once you start BBQing your own meat...nothing compares.
Al

Post Thu May 01, 2008 4:37 pm
Hookecho User avatar
rare
rare

In Oct. of last year my family and I were traveling home from my grandmothers funeral in DC at Arlington National Cemetery and because we were flying NW, we went thru Memphis. After several depressing days and dealing with Reagan national airport we get to the gate at Memphis and they open the door and wafting into the airplane was......BBQ.

Is Neeley's also Interstate? because in all the concourses at Memphis airport there is a Interstate BBQ place....oh my that was so good after a handfull of peanuts and stuff you get on the plane....now when I fly east i make sure I go thru there. I swear your drooling before you get off the plane.
Hook

Yoder 640 Comp
Yoder 1500 Comp
Yoder Kingman Comp

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:54 pm
birdfan raw
raw

Hookecho wrote:
Is Neeley's also Interstate?

I think one of the the brothers of the guy with the Food Network show runs that one. Supposedly it is pretty good but we never got to it. We did drive by it. It's on the highway that is on the way from downtown Memphis to Tunica. 41, 61? Something like that.
Brinkmann Smoke King (modified) and Gourmet
Weber Standard and Smokie Joe

Post Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 am
Blazer well done
well done

Neeley's isn't Interstate. Interstate has been around for as long as I can remember and is one of, if not THE, best barbecue place in Memphis. Unless something has changed recently, the Neeley's have nothing to do with this place. It's just "smack ya momma" good. The original restaraunt is just off I-40 close to down town. It is an ancient cindar block building that isn't much bigger than a shade tree mechanic's garage. Good stuff comes outta there.

Well, just talked to my dad and he says that Jim Neeley bought the place a while back and put in bids to open locations in the airport. (Sound familiar). I stand corrected. He also says that after the airport locations opened that the service in the original restaraunt went down hill fast. The food is still good, but the experience is not what it once was.

Post Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 am
rogerja well done
well done

Isn't it Neely's Interstate BBQ?

Post Tue May 20, 2008 12:27 pm
Blazer well done
well done

rogerja wrote:

It is now. It wasn't when I was growing up and eating there. There was this old guy way back then. It was just called Interstate Barbecue. I was a kid. I just went with my Grandad, shut up and filled my face. What did I know? According to my dad, it hasn't been THAT long ago that Jim Neeley bought it and expanded.

Post Fri May 30, 2008 12:26 am

Blazer wrote:
rogerja wrote:

It is now. It wasn't when I was growing up and eating there. There was this old guy way back then. It was just called Interstate Barbecue. I was a kid. I just went with my Grandad, shut up and filled my face. What did I know? According to my dad, it hasn't been THAT long ago that Jim Neeley bought it and expanded.

Correct Jim Neely owns interstate BBQ, his son Pat (the one on the horrible Food network show) has his BBQ joints named Neely's with 2 locations in Memphis and one in Nashville.

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 pm
Blazer well done
well done

NEWS FLASH: The Memphis Fire Department was called to Interstate Barbecue today to douse a fire that had nothing to do with the cooking of barbecue. Details have not been released. More later.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:57 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board da_ticklah! :D

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint