Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wil cheapo Charcoal grill do the trick?

Wil cheapo Charcoal grill do the trick?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:43 pm

I have a decent gas grill but since reading "How to Grill," I also want charcoal. We plan on taking a trip up to my folks and they don't have a grill, so my wife said "Hey - let's get that portable grill at home depot."

It's the aussie. It's not a table top grill, but it is a square, flat lid. Not a dome like the weber or sunbeam, Also, the grate doesn't have the openin glids to add coals.

Will I be able to effectively do ribs, brisket etc on this cheap grill? I imagine I just wouldn't be bale to do tall itmes like turnkey or beer can chicken.

Advice please.

P.S. Of these two, whiich do u think would be better?
http://www.kmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1302413&cp=821289.784605&parentPage=family
or
http://www.kmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=977290&cp=784605&parentPage=family

Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:14 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

You might be able to do ribs, but I don't think you could do a brisket. Let me explain why. Both of the grills had about 400sqin of cooking space. That is about 20in per side. A whole untrimed brisket would cover most of that space, thus you could not create an indirect fire. My advice would be a weber kettle. More expensive but worth the investment.

Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:43 pm

Thanks. I forgot about surface space and was only thinking about the shape etc. They do have a larger one, same size as the weber kettle. I bought the 22.5 inch kettle to try out charcoal grilling. I do pretty well on gas but want both.

I stuffed the lighter chimney too tight, so it didn[t flame up and my coals took way long to light. Then it felt really hot and I forgot momentarily about controlling the heat. I was trying the 3 zone fire. Once I got my brain working, my coals hot and my heat correct though, the chicken and asparagus tasted great.

I'm sure someday I'll step up to a real nice weber kettle, but for 40 bucks this will do the trick.

FYI - Home Depot had two 24 Lb bags of kingsford for $7.88.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:57 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I just started using parrafin starters to start my chimney. I love them, they light up fast and easy.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:18 am

I plan on trying those. And I think I need the weber chimney. it is bigger. The one I have seems like my coals are spread thin if I do a 3 zone fire. Like I have to have space between them to cover enough area. Altho the temp did seem fine even in those areas.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:38 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I know what you mean about the chimney being too small. I use two when ever I am cooking more than one steak. Also I notice that with the chimney I have it takes about 25 minutes to heat and the charcoals don't always light evenly. I wonder if the Weber would work better?

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:01 pm

I bought the weber this morning. I'll let you know after July 4th. The smaller one I got took a long time too.

Return to General Discussion