Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion London Broil

London Broil

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:04 pm
clowman raw
raw

I am going to grill a London Broil this weekend. I am looking for suggestions. Any suggestions. This particular LB is one that looks like a giant steak ( 3lbs. )

Thanks in advance
Clowman

Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

London Broil is a staple in my house due to it being an inexpensive and easy to prepare cut.
There are many many ways to prepare them but here's the method I use the most.

Start by tenderizing the meat, use either a jaccard or for this case I often use a paring knife and slice about 1/8 inch at diagonals both ways, creating "cross hatch" slices. I like the way as the meat cooks they open up.
I then marinate the meat in a combination of italian dressing, catalina dressing, worschershire sauce, garlic and dijon mustard. There are no measurements here I do it all to taste and enough to cover the meat. But the base is the two salad dressings, the rest are flavorings. Cover the meat and let refigerate.
Cook over a medium heat, higher and you'll get flareups from the marinade which I keep brushing on throughout cooking. I place it on the grill at and angle to match the slices I put in earlier, turning and flipping to match. It will moth take long to cook depending on the thickness of your cut. YOU DO NOT WANT TO OVERCOOK THIS! You're shooting for rare to medium rare here, otherwise chewing becomes very difficult.
Slice thin cuttting at a 45 degree angle across the grain of the meat.

Wonderful for sandwiches the next day.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:27 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Well once again I must say that I agree with Grand Scale - I prepare London Broils frequently and use a similar method - I make the small cuts in both directions of the meat and use an italian salad dressing as a maranade. Just make sure that you do not overcook the meat (unless you want to create a chew toy for your dog) - I personally cook it to medium rare and then slice very thin against the grain of the meat. My wife would only eat meat well done, but she loves the london broil medium rare and is now wanting other red meats cooked to medium.

Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:37 pm
The Roff

I certainly agree with the cooking methods given by dkirn and Grand Scale. I would cook it only to rare, however. I have a way to serve it that screams. Make a salsa of chopped tomatoes, lots of grated fresh horseradish, a bit of minced fresh mint, and some salt and pepper. As you finish grilling, grill (toast) about 2 slices per person of good rye bread. Plop some of the salsa on the toasted bread and lay a some thin sliced strips of the meat over that. Wash it down with a hard hitting California zinfandel……..Ahhhhh, that’s heaven.

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Roff that sounds good. I'm going to get mine marinating tonight.
Have you ever tried grilled garlic bread? Soundls like it'll work here too.
Only difference is I'll wash mine down with a single malt!

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:56 am
dkirn well done
well done

Well thanks for getting me very hungry early in the morning - however I know know what I am cooking tonight! Well off to the butcher shop to get a london broil and some ingredients for the salsa.

Thanks for the idea

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:13 pm
The Roff

Grand Scale: My basic concept with the rye bread was sort of a pastrami sandwich. But, I would bet garlic bread would also scream. I do grill garlic bread often. I slice up some good French bread and toast/grill until it is a bit brownish with pretty grill marks, then rub the pieces with a clove of garlic and drizzle with some good olive oil. Go easy on rubbing the garlic on the bread because the toasted bread acts like sand paper and you can quickly have some clear your sinus garlic bread. Course I like that.

I still cannot figure how to log into this place.....................

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:29 am
dkirn well done
well done

Roff -

In the upper right hand side of the top of the page you can log in (the link is located unter the store link)

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:31 am
dkirn well done
well done

Roff & Grand Scale -

I must thank you for the tips on the london broil I fix mine tonight the way you had listed except I used tortillas instead of rye bread or garlic bread and that was an amazing taste. The salsa was terrific.

Thanks again

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:03 pm
clowman raw
raw

Grand Scale!

Thanks for the idea. I fixed my broil for dinner this afternoon. It was sooooooo TASTY! I slow cooked it for about an hour on a low heat. It was just a touch over med-rare, but less than medium. The juices were flowing like crazy, and the outer layer had such a wonderful flavor. My wife raved about it, and my sister-in-law was amazed!

I highly recommend this method for anyone.

Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:49 pm
The Roff

Even though I just finished a great salmon dinner, this discussion is making me hungry again. Ah, red meat. I think I am going to grill up a flank steak (sort of London Broil) next weekend. It will be served over garlic bread, and the leftover strips will be used to roll in tortillas……….MMMMMMMM…

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dkirn- Did you put anything other than the usual topping in the tortilla? I'm thinking a creamy horseraddish sauce might be great.

I've got my london broil marinating as we speak.

I think london broil sales peaked this week as a result of this thread!

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:52 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

I used not only a creamy horseraddish sauce but also some Pico de Gallo with lots of fresh cilantro.

Happy Eating

Return to General Discussion