Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bone in leg of lamb

Bone in leg of lamb

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:34 am
krugs84 rare
rare

Happy Easter weekend folks!!!

I have a 7.5 Bone in leg of lab sirloin. I have 2 options, gas or charcol. I have a weber kettle I can cook it on, or a gas grill. Looking for recommendations on a rub; seasoning and cooking method. THANKS!!!!

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:58 pm
Ian Mack well done
well done

Hi Krugs,
I would use Steve's Mediterranean rub, cook it indirect on the Weber until the internal temp reaches about 140 deg F.

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:01 pm
ChicagoFire medium
medium

I was this close (vision forefinger and thumb very close together) at picking up a couple of legs of bone in leg of lamb. I just wasn't sure of the overall flavor. Meijer is supposed to have them on sale through tomorrow.

If someone can verify the worth of smoking/grilling them, I'll be grabbing my wallet and heading back to pick up a couple.

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:12 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't usually use a spice rub with roast lamb, but I do use the following marinade for basting:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. chopped mint
1 tb onion powder
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
1 tbsp crushed rosemary
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into a sealed container (I use a Mason jar) and shake well. You can also increase the spices according to your own taste, or dilute the lemon juice slightly. You can also add curry powder for a more East Indian flair, or add cumin for more of a Middle-Eastern taste (

In addition, before cooking I cut small slits in the lamb and insert small slivers of fresh garlic. My Greek friend who taught me this recipe tends to use entire bulbs of garlic instead, but then, when we cook together we roast an entire lamb on a spit so we also make 8 batches of the above marinade as well. :D

As for the cooking method, I prefer to cook my lamb indirectly over a charcoal fire using a rotisserie. A gas grill with a rotisserie also works well with this recipe as well. Just make sure to baste often - my Greek friends and I use a spit over a couple of 4-foot-long charcoal troughs, so we baste it every 15 minutes or so. Your own results will vary, but 30 minutes may be OK. I tend to crank up the heat a bit at home and stick to the 15-minute basting schedule, but other opinions of this may vary, too.

I usually just use a meat thermometer and cook it to medium-rare or medium, depending on who's coming to dinner. Also, here's a meat temperature guide for lamb I got from About.com:

Rare: 135°
Medium-rare: 140° to 150°
Medium: 160°
Well done: 165° or a bit above

Anyway, I hope this helps. Enjoy the lamb and be sure to post some pics! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:35 am
ChicagoFire medium
medium

Thanks for sharing CanadaBBQ!

Return to General Discussion