Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wow that's expensive

Wow that's expensive

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:20 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I have been looking for a custom pit that can feed about a hundred people. (4000 sq. in. of cooking space, barrel main smoker, upright secondary smoker, fryer, etc.) I finally got a quote for what I am looking for... about $3000. Sticker shock. I am going to have to think about this one for a while.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:43 am
murfman rare
rare

Hi Luke, Do you need to feed that many people all at the same time? That is, a meal where every one is going to sit and eat at he same time? I do an fall harvest 'que as an open house, from 2 in the afternoon to 6 or 7. (Of course most everyone comes fashionably late at 3 and stays till the fun is done.) I've cooked for 50-60 with one charcol weber kettle and last year we had 85 guests using 2!

Pick a main course that can be grilled in batches and stagger the batches. For instance. I've cut salmon fillets (one whole side a of the fish) in half and put two parts on the grill at a time and then put two more on 5 -10 minutes later. Take off the first two and put more on. This way you get a continous stream of food coming off the grill.

Another time I put beef ribs, lamb ribs and chicken parts (quicker cooking parts like wings especially) in different rubs or marinades early in the morning in big ziploc bags, several pounds in each. That way I could call out - who wants chicken, who wants lamb, etc and just pour a bag on the grill. Put some chicken and lamb on, take off the lamb, put on some beef; the variety of flavors and the anticipation of the next batch will keep 'em occupied!

I used two weber kettles for about eighty five guests last year with shish-kabobs. I got the butcher to cube the meat for me (boy, what a time saver) and got a few guests who came early to "volunteer" to skewer up the the kabobs. Some were all meat, some were all veggie, and some were a mix. This way there is always something different coming of the grill at a good clip.

Don't forget the sides! Salads: green, bean. potato. Coleslaw, corn on the cob, chips and salsa, rice, bread, etc... I bet you know the drill if you are thinking of 'cueing for 100!

Plan ahead, prep ahead, and build a HOT fire, and you might surprise yourself on how much you can cook. Over the years now.I've 'cued for anywhere from 25 -30 guests at a clip once or twice a summer, to a fall finale of 65-85 guests, most of the time on one kettle grill! Whatever you use to cook on. go for it, you'll sweat, worry and obsess, but I'll tell you, when the coals are ash and the bones are trash, your guests can't walk and just sit and talk, you'll feel like the KING of the GRILL!

Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:49 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

The problem is that I will be cooking BBQ, ribs most of the time, brisket and shoulder after that. The events will be things like lake parties, little league Saturdays, etc. My ultimate goal is to start a resturant, but I'll start off catering.
Live Different

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:11 am
murfman rare
rare

Gotcha- totally different level there. You must be looking at one of those rigs that is towed!

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:26 pm
Georgeh raw
raw

I can only imagine a tow able rig would run in the 4 digit range. I am jealous of your catering plans. I wish I could retire early and start a BBQ house of my own. The joy of being at the grill in the hickory smoke with tongs and a cold beverage on a nice day is beyond measure. I know in my area there is a catering outfit that provides open pit BBQ each week at our local farmers market. Every Wednesday (when time allows) I pick up my fresh veggies and smoking hot briscuit sandwich. It's not the best I've had and the lines are long and it sure beats the heck out of fast food. Just another idea for your new bussiness.

Best of luck.
George

Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:01 am

i don't know--that doesn't really sound that expensive to me. i mean, if you want to bbq for that many people, and you want a huge smoker (4000 sq. inches is pretty big!), then it's a very reasonable price. when you consider the $$ you plan on making off of it (hopefully), the fact that if it even lasts 10 years then it's $300 a year (which is cheaper than many things that are far less fun) the enjoyment you'll get out of it, and everything else, then it seems pretty cheap.
just an optimistic thought....

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:08 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Didn't think about it that way. Actually I am not sure the exact size I would need to cook for thhe number of perople I want to cook for. I am just basing the size on numbers from manufactures. The pit does have a lifetime warrenty.
Live Different

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:48 am
flints rare
rare

See, now when I try to run that logic past the girlfriend she just keeps saying "you don't need another grill, you don't need another grill". You teach classes?

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:57 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

All the classes I teach involve Calculus. (I have atutoring business) I love sharing knowledge though. I can't ever seem to que without someone taggin along behind me. I think I am going to enter my first contest in Oct. Maybe I'll see then if I've really got the stuff to do this. :lol:
Live Different

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:54 pm
BUDMAN66 raw
raw

Here is something to think about. I dont know where you are or your family situation but I am starting to build my own smoker on its own trailer and all and i talked to my sons high school shop teacher and he wants me to let them build it as a project for school, and all I have to do is furnish the materials that I have and pay for what I don't. The labor is free!
and he will build it to my plans or prints, (which I am looking for some now). I figure that is as good of a deal as any! :D
REAL BAR-B-Q DON'T NEED SAUCE, AND IF IT HAS BEANS IT AINT CHILI!

Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:56 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Budman - great idea for the labor. If you find a good source for blueprints or detailed ideas for the smoker please post your findings I think we would all be interested.

Thanks

Return to General Discussion