Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint VA BBQ

VA BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:13 am
mhoppmann rare
rare

If any of you are from VA could you please tell me what the best places to eat BBQ there are.

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:01 am

On the EAST side of the state..It's got to be Pierce's Pit Bar-B-Que
located at exit 238 on I-64 near Williamsburg. So popular is the restaurant that it's been voted one of the South's best barbecue restaurants in Southern Living magazine's "Readers Choice Awards." at three times. They still cook over a open pit. I can not pass this exit without stopping for a sandwich and a quart to go for the four hour trip home.
On the WEST side of the state..It's got to be The Galax Smokehouse
located 10 miles off of exit 14 on I-77. Great food, nice portions, priced right and for $3.00 more you can order all you can eat. They also co-host BBQ Competition in August

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board starcitygrillers! :D

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Allman's on Route 1 in Fredericksburg. Excellent pulled pork. They also make a good milkshake.

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:26 pm
peaksjam rare
rare

My personal favorite is Virginia Barbecue Company in Ashland. Buzz and Ned's on Boulevard in Richmond was really good, but I haven't been in years and am not sure if it's still there.

I'm not much of a fan of Grandpa Eddies even though I live right down the road from it. I think their basic Q recipe is good, but their ribs and chicken haven't blown me away. They do have great wings.

And I'm glad nobody has mentioned Bill's ;)

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, peaksjam!

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:53 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board peaksjam! :D

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:54 am
smoke eater medium
medium

If you are ever in VA Beach try Jake's Smokehouse Barbecue on General Booth Blvd. Some of the best que that I have ever had.
Proud CG owner!

Post Thu May 31, 2007 4:30 pm
halter91 medium
medium

EATWELL wrote:
Around Richmond, Extra Billy's is good. Good BBQ, and a nice selection on sides. One place I tried and liked was Grandpa Eddies on West Broad in Centerville (Richmond area again). Interesting BBQ sauce.

I ate there on Saturday and I devoured food. I have the Rib sampler, with Brisket and Pork. Their sauce was awesome, great food.

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:52 am
Hokieman1987 medium-rare
medium-rare

I would also like to endorse Extra Billy's in Richmond. The Q is always good. The brisket is so tender. They also have a micro brewery on the site (Midlothian location) with some very good beer choices.

The staff is friendly and the manager will talk to you about his cooking technique if you ask.
Hokieman
'92 Weber 22 1/2" Bar B Kettle
'99 Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill
'08 Weber Performer

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:50 am
Swcrowder raw
raw

When in the Norhtern Virginia/DC area, try Rocklands. They have especially good beef brisket. You wont leave dissappointed!

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:22 pm

In Arlington in the Crystal City and in Alexandria try the killer baby backs and beans at the King Street Blues.
A new CG owner in training

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 pm
502mids well done
well done

Bubba's Lee Highway in Merriefield, just inside the Beltway.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:45 pm
halter91 medium
medium

Anyone know if there are any good joints near Glenn Allen Va? North east of richmond?

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint