Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint For Us In Kansas City.....Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue

For Us In Kansas City.....Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

You know, I guess you're right. I think I still see Jack's as it used to with Smoke Stack. I still only go to their Martin City location so that may be it. Although I still like their Hot BBQ sauce. The belnd of seasonings is just perfect for my palate.

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:21 am

Ok let’s get it straight, there is no KC BBQ. I spent the first 26 years of my life in KC, the next 6 I’ve spent moving around the US with the railroad. There’s nothing original in KC, you just have a ton of restaurants that specialize in regional BBQ, but for the life of me I don’t remember one that does Carolina pork though. I miss KC everyday because you can’t get food like that just anywhere, and any type of Q you can get there. Now for Jack Stack, there are some like me who believe you loss something with table service. I do love the beans though. I love going to Gates and getting yelled at as soon as I walk in the door, I still remember the first time I took my wife there. She grew up in Ohio had never even heard of Gates, and I didn’t tell her in advance. They made her so nervous the only thing she got that trip was French fries. Now she looks forward to going there just as much as I do, great atmosphere. Or going to Bryant’s, that place looks like a hole in the wall, but you can’t beat the food. I have had better BBQ in convenient stores in KC then I have been able to find in Ohio. I love making my own BBQ too, but sometimes I would just like to go get a combo and a half with an order of potatoe salad and fries from Gates. :D

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:23 am

ok my last post was all over the place
what I was trying to say is the Q is regional
but KC is the only place you can get all of them, which is why I love KC so much
you will just have to give me a pass on that one, I've been sick :)

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:30 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I remember the first time my dad took me to Bryants. I was just a little kid. This was well before the yuppies and food magazines had found the place. Only those people that knew and loved BBQ would go there. The neighborhood was way scarier than it is now and the building looked like it should have been condemned. Once the food magazines found the place, the yuppies started to come because it was chic to eat BBQ. They then made the cops come and start cleaning up the neighborhood, then even more people started to go there. Good for Bryants but bad for us because that meant we had to stand in an even longer line! :x

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:08 am

Has anyone tried "The Bank" in Hillsdale? I mainly visit K&M since I live close to it.

chris

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board chris-in-kansas! :D

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:08 pm
Tee Bone rare
rare

I'd have to agree on this one. Jack Stack is my favorite in KC

Post Wed May 02, 2007 4:08 pm
toasty medium
medium

Anonymous wrote:
nobody can contend with barbecue beans

I'm from KC originally, and I think it would be worth driving from St. Louis for a spoonful of those beans.

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:12 pm
RobKC raw
raw

The Martin City trifecta from years ago was Smoke Stack, Keegan's and Snead's. Throw in Jess & Jim's for huge steaks and RC's for chicken and there was never any need to go elsewhere.

A highly overlooked spot in south Johnson County is Stilwell Smokehouse. You won't leave hungry from that place.

I've also heard good things about Smokin' Guns in NKC. I can't wait to try it.

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:43 pm
Assembler raw
raw

I live in Georgia now for 6 years, I'm a transplant from Wichita, and have been hunting for edible BBQ here. I ran into someone here that had recently moved to GA from KC, I asked him if he had found any good BBQ in GA, , , he was almost weeping when he told me he hadn't. :cry: I have had good BBQ many places in KS, OK, MO, and the WORST I've had in those places is better than the best I've had in GA. If someone would just bring some GOOD BBQ to GA they could make a fortune ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I like both places. As a matter of fact, the Fiorella's in Martin City catered my wedding... but Fiorella's and Oklahoma Joe's are 2 different beasts. The best analogy I can come up with, is that Fioreall's is the place you take your future in-laws for dinner. Excellent service, wide variety of items (including salads and seafood) and it's pricey enough, that they will know their daughter is not about to marry some sort of dead beat. Once you are securely in the good graces of you in-laws, it's off to Joe's for a slab and a sack of the best fires in the world. While you are there, you can buy a pack of smokes, a Baby Ruth and a dirty magazine (and that's meant as a compliment!) No pretense or flash at (the original) Oklahoma Joe's. It's in a gas station for Pete's sake! :D

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm

Jack's Stack is nice. Very antiseptic. Okie Joe's now has 2 locations-the original in the gas station and another store in Olathe (southwestern suburb of KC). The Olathe store also has a BBQ store next to it with all types of BBQ accessories.

My personal favorite is an out of the way place is called BB's Lawnside BBQ (not so antiseptic!). They have fantastic ribs, awesome battered fries and great live blues.

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Cardinal Ry! :D

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:11 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, Cardinal Ry!

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 pm
bleujean medium-rare
medium-rare

Hubby and I went on a food road trip for Spring Break. The two of us went to Jack Stack's, spent 70 bucks and neither of us were impressed. I asked the waiter several questions, one of them being what is Jack Stack's famous for. He said everything. Doesn't help narrow down the choices. Ended up asking the neighboring table. I ended up with the prime beef ribs and hubby chose the sampler. We also ordered the burnt ends as an appetizer. They were good. I thought the prime beef ribs were way to greasy. Didn't even finish half of one. The husband thought the pork ribs were just ok. Our waiter kept forgetting things, we had to ask for one item 3 times. We were very disappointed. Ended up throwing away about 50 dollars worth of food... Maybe we just got an "off" night.

We went to Bryant's the next afternoon for lunch. Now that was GREAT!
weber genesis, silver
weber kettle
brinkman smoker

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint