Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Bugs

Bugs

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:52 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So this morning Bunny and I were noshing on caviar and mimosas next to the Olympic-size pool at the lake house when I said, "Buns, we really must try something different for dinner tonight. Frankly, our evening meals of late have been as stale and repetitive as Colonel March-Sotheby's war stories!" I summoned Stafford (young Stafford, you know, as old Stafford retired when we sold the place on the Cape back in '05) and told him to take the Bentley into town and procure some of those "mud bug" creatures that the middle class is so enamored of.

"South African Grilled Rock Lobster", page 345, The Barbecue! Bible. I'd been looking for a reason to try lobster on the grill and with the kids out of town on fall break it seemed like as good a time as any. Instead of going out for dinner like we usually do (those of you who're parents of teenagers and younger children understand about rare opportunities) we decided to treat ourselves to something nice at home, so I picked up 4 6-oz. tails at the store today. The butter baste isn't difficult at all and really adds some good flavor; we started out trying to use silverware to get the meat from the shells but about 2 or 3 minutes in it became obvious that the best utensils were at the ends of our arms. I used the 22" Weber with 2 banks of coals set up for indirect grilling and it worked perfectly; I seared the meat over the coals and then flipped them shell-down and moved them into the center of the grate to finish indirect at about 350 for about 20 minutes or so. It was a nice change of pace but certainly not something we'll be doing very often.

And of course young Stafford took the Bentley. If you think I'd let him drive the Rolls you're completely daft! :wink:

Brad

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And some photos (I got a little heavy with the flash):

ImageImage

ImageImage

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Brad, that's quite a story you 'cooked' up to go along with your meal.....which, by the way, the meal makes the story almost believable. :wink: Very nice! 8)

Understand completely abou tthe kids. If I tried to cook something like that with mine at home, I'd need a boat load of those tails. :shock:

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:12 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Lobster tails on the grill - One of my favorites!
Got 2 dozen Australian Rock tails as a gift last year - and suprise, suprise - I'm the only one in the family that likes lobster. Will grill the last 4 this week.
We can get a little competitive around lunch time at work and I really enjoy when I have a leftover lobster tail or two and can say "I have leftover lobster tail today."
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:18 pm

You have to seriously worry about someone's taste buds, if they don't like lobster.
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

If I eat lobster, my taste buds are the *last* thing I'll be worrying about.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:20 pm
bajamike560 well done
well done

If you take me for a ride in the rolls (kanardly?) I will tke you for a ride in my
VW..... :twisted:

Mike

Return to Testimonials