Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint trip Memphis/ Rendezvous secrets?

trip Memphis/ Rendezvous secrets?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:28 pm
mhein68 rare
rare

Hi all,
Have to tell you about my little family vacation we took to Memphis this last week… Had a great time, always do when in Memphis (such a great laid back town!).. Had a chance to eat some great barbecue while there…. Thur. afternoon went to Rendezvous … Was told by the lady at the counter “ Sorry folks we are closed. We will open at 4 “ I looked around and people were eating so I looked confused.. She said” If you want to eat ribs sit on down” So we did! I will first off say that my wife does not really like ribs.. We both got half orders (I should have got a full rack!) and the sweet tea, which my wife said was the best tea she had ever had in her life! (More on that later!!) I am thinking I have been converted to dry ribs!! That was the best meat I have had in some time!! My wife even raved at how good it was and again she doesn’t really like ribs! I also have to say that the slaw and beans were really good too!!! :lol:
After that we tried to go to Corkeys but it was right after eating at the zoo ( I know, I know! Talk to my wife!!!) and the daughter was taking her afternoon nap.. Friday night we went back to Rendezvous for supper.. This time I had a full rack and the wife tried the brisket.. Again the ribs were fantastic, but the brisket wasn’t that great.. Maybe a bad night for brisket? After the meal I asked the waiter about the amazing tea that my wife was so fond of… He looks around to check for prying ears and said…..Lipton!!!! Imagine the look of surprise on the wife’s face! She was bright red! :oops:
So on Saturday night we went to Interstate (Rated #2 in country ??) I had rib and chopped pork plate, wife had barbecue spaghetti. None of which impressed either of us? Ribs were soft and mushy, chopped pork tasted kind of bland to me and the wife’s spaghetti was too spicy for her. I tried some and thought it was just ok.. Beans and slaw were pretty much that… Nothing special.. I would say maybe bad night or just over-rated???
So now the questions ….Does anyone know the secret to Rendezvous ribs or side dishes?? I would love to have the slaw recipe!!?? Overall I would say a great trip with some great food!! 8)
Mike H
Southern IL

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for the report Mike. :D Puts me in the mood for ribs.

We are Lipton drinkers too. :wink:

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBQ USA has a recipe that approximates the Rendezvous' ribs, and also has a sidebar story of the restaurant itself and how the ribs are grilled.

Brad

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:03 pm
BIG J raw
raw

Interstate visited by Alton Brown's FOA show and Rendezvous #2 by Bon Appetitt's Best in America.

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 pm

BIG J wrote:
Interstate visited by Alton Brown's FOA show and Rendezvous #2 by Bon Appetitt's Best in America.

Bon Appetitt had Rendezvous rated number 2 for ribs or for barbeque in general? Who was number 1?
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:50 am
Trout medium
medium

RaidersoftheLostGrill wrote:
BIG J wrote:

Bon Appetitt had Rendezvous rated number 2 for ribs or for barbeque in general? Who was number 1?

It was rated #2 just for ribs.

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:15 am
C-pher rare
rare

I have to say...I think that Interstate is the best place in Memphis to get BBQ. I grew up there..and that was always the best place to eat at lunch. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it...but I've never had a bad meal there.

I usually get the compo plate, that way I get a little bit of everything.

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:50 pm
BamaQ528 rare
rare

It has been awhile since I lived in Memphis. But I remember Gridley's to have the best Pulled Pork around. I don't think they are still there though. Another spot to visit in Memphis (not Q) is Dyer's hamburgers. Home of the deep fried burger!
John
Chargriller Duo
Roll Tide

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:13 pm
lantern rare
rare

Deep fried and delicious. Nothing like 75 year old grease.

Although I'm not too big of a fan of an $8.00 burger that's thin as all getout, I'll make an exception for them.

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:33 pm
Woodbutcher68 well done
well done

BIG J wrote:

Mike Mills' 17th street bar and grill in Murphyboro, IL.
Perfect Flame 5 Burner
CG SuperPro w/SFB and RiboLator

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:38 am
Michigan Fats well done
well done

Woodbutcher68 wrote:
BIG J wrote:

Mike Mills' 17th street bar and grill in Murphyboro, IL.

I went to Mike Mills new 17th Street in O'Fallon, IL. They had a sign on the outside daying "Wecome travel Channel." I was hopeing they would be there filming and I could be that guy with sauce an his face and some rib meat in his beard saying how awesome the ribs were...They weren't there. The ribs were great, the sides left a little to be desired.
Al

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:39 am
Michigan Fats well done
well done

By the way, the O'Fallon 17th street is just outside of St. Louis.
Al

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

I have customers in Memphis and every time my sales guy and I go to visit, we always hit up the Rendevous. Went again this week and the ribs were great as always. I love the rub and they are always cooked perfectly. You order them and they are delivered about 5 minutes later. I love their cole slaw and they also come with baked beans which are also good. I was surprised to realize this time, however, that they leave the membrane on their ribs. I guess when you cook that many...

Buckeye Bob

Return to Best BBQ Joint