Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Selling Rub

Selling Rub

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here you go gang, this is the first and in my mind extremely successful design idea for my BBQ Rub label.
a super huge thanks to TonyGreek for all the hard work and help.

Any opinions or ideas welcome!!

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:02 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

That label suits you to a tee. :wink:

Suggestion:

If you plan of adding different flavors or a meat speacialty rub (like poultry or pork...) you need a place on the label to "name" it, a lid color or lid label. You KNOW that you're going to want a HOT one too. :lol:

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 am
USFMD82 well done
well done

So is this general all purpose or best intended for a certain type of meat I see the poultry seasoning in there

Lol I like the rub, it almost looks like a warning sign you see on those hazmat vehicles like fire means they are combustible or something, if you could add some flame in there somewhere (like at the top of the circle as if its cooking the words GO BIG BBQ) that would look pretty cool too just my idea
Bubba Keg Grill
Calphalon Gas
Weber SJ & P '18
Sunbeam Electric 17"
R.I.P 06.01.09 Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill (ECB)

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is a general rub. Regardless of the poultry seasoning which is just a blend of other spices anyway. My thought for future "model" if there are any would be to make it "Beef Rub...for Big Flavor" or whatever the case may be. But right now thats is not the most important as I really only use this rub and first and foremost I'm producing these for my own use, selling them and the labels are afterthoughts. If I ever refine another blend just adding the qualifier before RUB seems pretty easy.
We looked at several flame styles but since this blend isn't really hot I shyed away from that.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:11 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I love the SIZE = 1/1000 ton. 8) Will the average consumer be able to figger it out? :lol:

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:48 pm
toasty medium
medium

EATWELL wrote:
The only recommendation I would have is to talk to an attorney and make sure you understand the liabilities should there be a lawsuit.

Nothing agaist trial lawyers, but there need not be any real fault or damages, and a lawsuit can be brought none the less. Some people are professional clients.

Oh come on. As an attorney, I have a pretty thick skin, but notwithstanding your assurance that your comment is "nothing against trial lawyers," this is the most forced, opportunistic criticism of the bar I've ever seen. It probably is a good idea to talk to an attorney to make sure that you are on the right path, but the suggestion that trial lawyers are circling the wagons around someone who markets BBQ rub on a small scale is just absurd. Beware, trial lawyers are afoot -- BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!! :roll: Besides, he's already insured -- isn't that what insurance is for?

Remember, people can and will bring ridiculous litigation with or without lawyers. I turn down 20 cases for every case I take and I guarantee you some of these nutjobs go ahead and sue on their own anyway. All that you need to file suit is the ability to write up your claim, walk to the courthouse, and file it -- no lawyer necessary.

Back on point, I think this is a great idea, especially if they can make it for less than you make it yourself. I like your first shot at the label, too, especially the "1/1000 of a ton" part!!!

Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like any guidance on what sorts of legal issues you need to keep in mind as you move forward. If you've already got your LLC set up and are insured, though, you're already well on your way.
"Give me my smoker and a cord of seasoned cherry, or give me death!!"
Bandera
Weber Kettle
Perfect Flame 5 Burner

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:56 pm
Truckman medium
medium

It's been a while now...just curious how it's going? Have I missed anything as far as an ETA or anything? I don't think I missed any threads announcing the final product, just curious. Hope it's going smooth for ya and we'll get to purchase some soon to sample.
NEW 6/07: Weber Smokey Mountain
Brinkmann Dual Zone
Weber 22½" Kettle

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:05 pm
riggins44 medium
medium

Paypal (as others have mentioned) is probably the best way to go starting out.
It protects you against bad checks and such. For you to personally accept
credit cards, you would need a business license.

Let me know when it does hit the market. I'm willing to purchase a bottle
or two.

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:44 pm
Swamp Yankee well done
well done

I watch alot of food programs and what your talking about is quite common. many small establishments don't have the equipment or time to produce their special sauces or rubs. And those with secret recipes will have the dry ingredients made up by an outside company and their employees mix it with the wet ingredients. That way nobody has the whole formula. Go for it!!! :D
MHP Gasser
CG/SFB
BGE

Previous

Return to General Discussion