Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Ribs! 1st timer here...

BBQ Ribs! 1st timer here...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:17 pm
LadyDJ981 raw
raw

Today is the first time I've ever attempted to cook my own ribs. I have pondered over a million websites with tips, it seems...and eventually threw caution to the wind and took what I liked from each one and combined them. I'm simmering the ribs right now in water, beer, worchestershire sauce, and a packet of onion soup mix. The house smells awesome right now, but I have no idea if I should add some sauce to this before I BBQ them later, or will this mixture be enough? If no one responds, I will do my best and use your tips for next time. 8) Thanks for your help!

Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:01 am
mnfolks raw
raw

Lady D

Yoy might try a BBQ sauce made with a JELLY base. We have come to preferer RED RASBERRY as a base. Making your oun sauce is the only way to go!! Talk about the house smelling great...........
Tom (mnfolks)

Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:46 am
egkor rare
rare

LadyDJ,

How did the ribs turn out?

-egkor

Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:08 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Hi, LadyD,
The way you were cooking those ribs, I would have waited until they were about ten minutes from being done on the grill, and then started shooting the sauce to them.( if it was a high sugar based sauce,sugar burns quickly. vinegar based sauces can be applied earlier)
The next time you cook ribs, if you have the time, try cooking them like this, you will not regret it. This recipe is for 2 racks of spareribs.
The night before you bar-bq, pull off the membrane against the bones,rub the racks with a good quality rub, Steves KC sweet & smoky rub is great, and refridgerate 12 hours.
There will be no boiling of ribs this time.
Make 2 quarts of mop sauce, I use Steves cider squirt, set by the grill.
Set up the grill for indirect grilling, charcoal tastes better, but if you don't have the time to mind the fire, gas will do, just be sure to refill the smoker box with chips every hour. Get the grill temp about 230 degrees, put on the ribs, mop every 45 minutes, and cook until done. Depending on the size, this could be 3-4 hours. When you can rotate a bone, or it's pulled back from the end of the bone, they are done.
Let the ribs stand for ten minutes covered. cut into 2-3 rib sections, and baste with a good sauce. I use a version of Steves Sweet & Smoky sauce. Serve
This may sound complicated, but it really isn't. Once you have your stuff laid out, it's just a matter of time. The results are worth the wait.
Hope this helps, Craig
PS All the recipes for these ribs come from Steves "Sauces Rubs and Marinades" book.
If you don't already have it, get it, it's one of my top go- to sources for grilling.
There is literally something for every taste in this book!

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:28 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I'm thinking you're not a troll, just a raw newbie. NEVER, EVER boil ribs!!! The only exception is if you're making Rib Soup.

Before you attempt anything else, I'd suggest buying Steven's book How to Grill it contains all the basic techniques, and many good recipes. Like anything else, grilling requires instruction and lots of practice.

Good luck, and post questions and progress reports.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:24 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Well I can barely type my response since I am clenching my heart that seemed to suddenly stop when I heard the word (dare I type them) "boiling ribs in water" - AHHHHH!!!!

Alright so maybe I went alittle over the top with that one, but hopefully I got my point across you never want to boil ribs unless you are making a chew toy for your dog

Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:23 pm
shaft28

Boiling ribs bad, fire good!

Simple, yet true.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:37 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Many years ago, I knew several people that insisted on pre-boiling all pork and chicken. All they accomplished was to leave all of the juicy flavor in the boil water, and dry out the meat. They said it was to make sure that the food was cooked all the way through. Boiling takes away the flavor, and is not a good way to go. Take the time to cook start to finish over a live fire, and you won't regret it.

Pete

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:44 pm

LadyD, gotta ditto on the boil - bad. Thats what they did to horse meat in the Civil War.

You can't go wrong with the rub recommendations and indirect method over water.

Eat good - live long.

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:59 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Boiling wouldn't do horse meat any justice either! :lol:

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:13 pm

The Roff will add to this debate. The lady said “BBQ” ribs as opposed to grilling the ribs, and as posters here have noted there is a big difference. BBQ to me means smoking and cooking the ribs or other meat in oak or hickory smoke at 220 to 300 degrees for a long time. Absolutely no boiling for a true BBQ. Ugh!! However, one can make fantastic grilled ribs where, I believe it is essential to cook them some way before grilling or you will have black on the outside and uncooked glop on the inside. For grilled ribs, I simmer them in beer and some basic red rub spices until they are almost tender. I then slap them on a hot charcoal fire, not gas, for say 10 to 15 minutes depending on how crispy you like them. If I want them messy, I will slather them with a tomato/sugar based red BBQ sauce for the last minute or so.

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:12 am
dkirn well done
well done

I know Halloween is approaching but do we all need to experience the complete terror and fear that comes to mind when we hear................. "BOILING RIBS"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:52 pm
TheRoff

Dkrin.

I suppose it’s a matter of language. I think of boiling something with very high heat and rigorous. Simmering something uses a lower heat for a longer period of time. Kind of like the difference between grilling and barbequing. In my opinion, simmering some ribs for awhile in a liquid (beer for my taste) and then throwing them on a grill generally results in some fantastic noshing before the main course.

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:52 am
stl-rich rare
rare

Cooking the ribs LOW AND SLOW results in GOOD RIBS - but no soup.

You making ribs or soup?

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:00 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I understand that many people may boil or "simmer" their ribs before cooking them and they think that it produces great ribs - nice and tender. But I challenge any of you that normally boil your ribs first to simply apply a dry rub the night before and place the ribs in the fridge until 1 hour before you plan to grill or smoke your ribs. The end result will be the best ribs that you have ever tasted and you will understand what truly tender ribs taste like and you will understand why boiling (or "simmering") not only takes all the flavor out of the meat, but also makes them "mushy".

There is a huge difference - trust me I have tryed boiled ribs so I can atest to the difference - give it a try and you will understand why "boiling ribs" is a four letter word to any pitmaster!

Next

Return to General Discussion