Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Inexpesive pork butts

Inexpesive pork butts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:56 am
mrgrumpy well done
well done

I went to one of my local Food Lion stores last week, and while I was cruising the meat aisle, my first stop, I spotted twin packs of Smithfield pork butts for $0.99 a pound. So I grabbed a twin pack.

After a bit, I looked at lonely pack of meat in the buggy and had to go get another one..... :D :D

A week later, I went back, and guess what... they still had them... so I had to grab 2 more twin packs.... same price. I ended up at another store, and theirs was $1.38 a lb for the same pork butts.....

And at the same time, both stores had the beef ribs on special for $1.69 a lb. I ended up with 8 packs of them.....

The freezer and I am happy.... now to find some briskets on special...

Bill

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:01 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I know what you mean. I did a similar thing last week when I saw side ribs on for $1.99 a pound, and shoulder butt roasts on for $1.29 here (which is about 99 cents US anyway).

At least my new freezer is now reasonably full. 2 weeks ago it was almost empty. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:34 am
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Congrat Grumpy!!!!

8 migrane inducing pork butts. Load up on the Maxalt now!!!

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:36 am
mrgrumpy well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:
Congrat Grumpy!!!!

8 migrane inducing pork butts. Load up on the Maxalt now!!!

Nope, I have figured out pretty well how not to touch them things so I don't get the migraines.... I am really enjoying cooking them and watching everyone (well, the family) eat it. It is worth it just to let them have it, plus it keeps me on my toes for when I do get a chance to go to a competition.

Bill

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:46 am
QJuju well done
well done

mrgrumpy wrote:
The freezer and I am happy.... now to find some briskets on special...Bill

Just curious about freezing the butts. I did a clod and had too much leftover so I froze a few chunks individually, one was very tasty for dinner last night, but I haven't had much success freezing the larger cuts and then smoking them later. Any suggestions on how to thaw in preparation for rubbing and then low slow cooking?

Return to General Discussion