Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ways to Help a Friend

Ways to Help a Friend

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

hickory pete wrote:
Grand Scale wrote:
hickory pete wrote:
Brody wrote:
Maybe next summer I'll try grilling and serving some of the recipes in the same fashion that some of the famous places do.

Why wait until next summer? Grilling is a year round sport at my house. When it snows the grill get shoveled out before the vehicles do. Just dress warmer, adjust your flame to compensate for the drop in temperature, and use your side burner to keep sauces from freezing. I do reccomend eating indoors however you won't get bug bites like in the summer but frostbite is worse.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Normally I do grill year round. Unfortunately, I've been confined to a wheel chair...looks like for about 6 months. If I can figure a way to get out there to enjoy the grill I certainly plan on it. It wan't that difficult in warm dry weather, but the snow may present another problem. In the meantime, I still enjoy the reading and planning for the next time. However, if there is a way, I'll be out there.

Pete

What I'm proposing is this: A new thread to brainstorm ideas to help our buddy Pete get through the next 6 month without giving up his grill. I know the members of this board are creative thinkers, grilling at its very nature is a creative sport. So let's put our collective heads together and see what ways we can think of to help out Pete (and potentially others) to help them enjoy the thrill of the BBQ! There's no reason to let something like this stop anyone, if a person in a wheelchair can drive a car they sure as heck should be able to grill a steak!!

"Always Go Big"

P.S. Pete I've been there...over the years I've spent a total of 3 years in a chair in anywhere from a few week to a several month stints.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:18 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I would love to see some ideas - I am off to the drawing board to see what I can come up with.

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:15 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've got my brain burning on this and I'm coming up with things that I could do if it were me but then it hit me, I know what I'm dealing with.

Pete- Whats your situation? What type of grill, Where do you keep it? What are you obstacles?

If you can give us a little more to work with.

This is kind of exciting because I'm thinking of ideas that would not only help in this specific case Pete but I know a few others that could benefit by increased ease and accessibility.

"Where there's a will there's a way"

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:13 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

The problem here is the fire marshal. I would convert a section of my garage into a BBQ safe zone. First I would put an intake fan on the far side of my garage. Section off a portion of the garage with concrete board or something of the sort. Then I would extend the exhaust system of my grill (horzontal barrel) to include a small (say computer fan sized) fan and enough tubing to reach an exit point cut in the wall of my garage. Set up three fire extinguishers and your good to go.

Disclaimer: I take absolutly no responsibility if anyone actually does this.
Live Different

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:16 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
I've got my brain burning on this and I'm coming up with things that I could do if it were me but then it hit me, I know what I'm dealing with.

Pete- Whats your situation? What type of grill, Where do you keep it? What are you obstacles?

If you can give us a little more to work with.

This is kind of exciting because I'm thinking of ideas that would not only help in this specific case Pete but I know a few others that could benefit by increased ease and accessibility.

"Where there's a will there's a way"

Grand Scale,
Thanks for your consideration. To answer some of the questions posted by you, I have a gas grill that is normally used on the deck. However, since the approach of the cold weather, and my dilemma, I have since moved it into the garage for storage. Although I don't have a ramp in the garage, I can still hobble down the two steps to the garage floor with the help of a walker, which is not what the doctor wants, but is necessary anyway to get to the car. So I figure that during the rough winter weather, I'll pull the grill outside far enough not to create any hazards, and give it a try. I'm sure that where there is a way, it can be done. In the meantime, I appreciate any suggestions, and look forward to following this thread with great interest.

To Luke..I forgot to mention that I live in a condo, so any alterations to the exterior of the building are not allowed. You are a great group...Thanks.

Pete

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:51 pm

I just may be able to offer some ideas here. But then I read that our helpee lives in a condo, so what I have done may not be possible. Thanks to a tangle with the wrong end of an AK-47 in Vietnam I have used a wheelchair for some 34 years. I have been seriously cooking, grilling and smoking for a good 15 years. I currently have an uncovered concrete grilling patio that is 18X12. All one really needs is a flat space with some turning space. Give some thought to your grills and smokers, and get ones that you can reach. If you are in a wheelchair cooking be sure to use a good thick apron or something so a spill of something hot does not really screw you up. The link is to a recent picture of my patio.

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:53 pm

TheRoff was the above guest who didn't realize he had to log in first.

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:10 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

TheRoff..That's a great looking patio you have. All of the necessary equipment within reach. The thick apron is a good idea for me expecially since I drop a lot of things. Not knowing your location, do you experience winter weather? If so, are you able to grill? My hat goes off to you...34 years and it does not appear to slow you down. If I'm able to use my driveway, without any problems, it could be like a winter patio of sorts. Thanks for your response and good luck..

Pete

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:33 pm
TheRoff

Pete:

I live in Maryland outside of Washington, DC. Our winters are certainly not like one in Michigan, but I do grill and smoke most of the year. Like some one said here, with colder temperatures, you just need a little bigger fire. I don't know how a gas grill would work in very cold weather. I use only real charcoal and seasoned oak in the smoker.

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:10 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Gas Grill work fine in cold weather, just turn the burner up a tick.

Also a suggestion for Pete, as I'm sure TheRoff will attest gloves are a good investment. Biker/Lifting gloves will help the hand, but if your dealing with snow/salt/cinders etc. I'd get a heavier set to not only protect your hands but keep them clean whie you're doing your cooking.

Also a temporary wooden ramp can be fabricated for your two steps into the garage. No sense in breaking doctors orders all the time!

I'm glad to see this thread taking off.

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:31 pm
chagan well done
well done

Well, you metioned that you drive, or get driven around for the time being so I thought that you wouldn't need to mod your condo at all if you tried this:

http://www.mytailgate.com/product.asp?3=344

Good luck and speedy recovery.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:48 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

NICE!!
That is totally awesome!

The only problem is it may lead to the cops pulling you over for cheeseburger.
Drive by grilling, I love it!

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:36 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Chagan,

Now that's really something. Not only is it different, but it is functional, allowing easy access to the vehicle. I am also going to pass this info to some people that are very serious tailgaters.

Thanks for the well wishes. It is very much appreciated.

Pete

Return to General Discussion