Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:43 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

wlfpkrcn wrote:
It's home!!!!!!

Maybe Atrill can give us more info on his horizontal. You can also find plans online. The one I thought was cool, had abarrel on the bottom for a fire box and one up top for cooking.

Any reason you want to go horizontal?

Don't do it!! Vertical is way better for controlling temps and smoke. Also you'll miss out on that unbelievable smell and taste from the fat hitting the coals. Not only that but making a UDS is way cheaper and much easier. Hopefully these food pics from the BDS site will change your mind.

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/album/photos.htm

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:47 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

Not only that but listen to what this guy has to say about the official BDS (letter from website):

05-31-2006 From: Steven Raichlen - Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hi, Rocky,

The more I use my BDS, the more I like it. People flipped over it at Barbecue University and a wine maker friend from the Napa Valley just asked for your web site address.

I hope all this brings you some orders. BTW, if you have a one page promo sheet on smokers with ordering info and you want to send me a couple hundred copies, I'll pass them out at BBQ University.

Want to order a BDS for my home in Martha's Vineyard. Tell me what I owe and I'll send you a check.

Please time arrival for June 27 or 28th. We have a big photo shoot July 3.

Hope business is booming.

SR

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:35 pm
MNPorkmaster medium
medium

Cant do a hog in a vertical smoker though.

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:38 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

MNPorkmaster wrote:
Cant do a hog in a vertical smoker though.

Sure you can. Just depends on how many pieces you want to cut it into :D
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:58 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I'm going vertical!!!!!!!!
I already have a horizontal smoker

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:15 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

Check out Bigmista's home video on cooking on a UDS:
http://blip.tv/file/213990

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:23 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about building a UDS. Many of these are similar to mine, except I'm using a modified ECB Gourmet charcoal box (cut the bottom out and added a grate). Cheap brass ball valves couldn't be easier for controlling airflow as you can see on many of these.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:24 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

Probably should have posted the link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=23436

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:26 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

jamesstew wrote:
Probably should have posted the link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=23436

That's a real good one. I've been through that entire thread probably 3 or 4 times :lol:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:46 pm
asada medium-rare
medium-rare

in that video of the UDS on his porch, was that 11 hours on 1 basket full of charcoal? or was i mistaken becuase i didn't see him add more fuel? is that right to maintain 220 for 11 hours?

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:03 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

asada wrote:
in that video of the UDS on his porch, was that 11 hours on 1 basket full of charcoal? or was i mistaken becuase i didn't see him add more fuel? is that right to maintain 220 for 11 hours?

The way I understand it, these drum smokers when built right are so airtight that a little fuel goes a long way. I've heard confirmed stories of getting 16 -20 hours out of a single load of charcoal & wood chunks.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:51 pm

A hog in a vertical smoker? That would take a mighty big can to sit one on. Big Can Hog.
A new CG owner in training

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:29 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

With about 10 lbs or less of Rancher I can easily get a 16 plus hour burn. Almost as long with RO or Sam's briquettes. I've gotten long burns with the Sure-Fire Kingsford but not as consistently.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:45 am
swamprb medium-rare
medium-rare

I won't use Rancher in my drums, the fats dripping on the coals creates a swirling ash when I open the lids to turn or spray. I follow the BDS instructions and weighed out 12 lbs of briq for long cooks and made a level mark on a bucket for future use. You will run out of meat to cook before you ever have to add any charcoal! Make a smaller charcoal ring that will hold a little more than a Weber chimney and it's good for 4-6 hour cooks!

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:44 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

I'm all about reusing charcoal but when I use my drums I usually leave them going after the cook to see how long the burn lasts. I haven't had the problem with ash in my drums with Rancher but have noticed it when cooking in kettle grills. I never seem to get any on the food I'm cooking, at least not enough to be noticible but if it's windy I'll cover any food sitting on my sidetables.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion