Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 2 Briskets - Updated w/Pics! 9-17-07

2 Briskets - Updated w/Pics! 9-17-07

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:29 am
Mr Vegas medium-rare
medium-rare

I smoked a 5.47lbs brisket along w/ 3 slabs of ribs a few weekends ago. The brisket took 8hrs and the ribs took 6hrs at a temp of 200-225. I want to try 2 briskets this weekend(w/ only 1 slab of ribs), both briskets should be about the same weight(5-6lbs each). Just wondering if you guys think my hours of smoking will be the same as smoking one brisket? Since this is only my second time smoking brisket I wanted to get some expert help. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Mr Vegas on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 am
Alztybrn medium-rare
medium-rare

I was wondering the same thing. Does more food slow down the cooking times? Ribs and BCC? Would you change the 3-2-1 with other food on the CG?

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

It's likely going to take a little longer to cook. Putting 2 cold pieces of meat in your smoker will bring your temps down more than 1 piece will. Also remember, with brisket no 2 pieces are alike. One 5 lb. brisket may take considerably longer to cook than another of the same weight.

It's hard to judge how long brisket will take to cook so I always try to allow extra time.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:52 pm
T-Rex well done
well done

Kenny is right on. It will add some time at the beginning until thigs stabilze. I would recommend letting them come to room temp before putting into the smoker and using hot water in the pan so that temps will stabilize quicker. And they could both cook at the same rate or not. Briskets have a mind of their own and they are ready when the temps say they are. Good luck to ya. Post some pics if possible.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:52 pm
Mr Vegas medium-rare
medium-rare

Kenny 13 and T-Rex thanks for the reply. I was wondering if 2 briskets would add more time and it seems like it will. I'll try what you guys have advised and this time I'll remeber to take more pictures. I'm going to smoke this weekend and will post pics on Monday.

Thanks again.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:59 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I usually figure on 10% more time for more than one cut.
(Depending on the cooker.)

In my small offset an additional butt or brisket really
doesn't make much difference. Adding 3+ will add
5% more per cut.

I've done as many as eight at once and it really only added
That small percentage to the cook time over 2.

Eight 6# butts added about 25% to the time for 2.

I allow 90 min per pound for a butt.
Plus 10% for two = 100 min. per #

So 8 at 25% over the time for two comes
to 125min per #.

I offset this with a starting cooking temp of 280* for the
first 90-120 minutes and drop to 240 of so for the remaining time.

Stick a remote probe in the smallest butt and another in one of the middle
weight. Pull the smaller one(s) and foil, swap the therm to the larger group and so on.

(Make sense?)

The math may not check out exactly, but you will still have to make adjustments or air temp, wind, etc.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Sage advice YB. 8)

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:17 am
mrgrumpy well done
well done

The brisket is the most unpredictable. I have done some in as little time as 45 minutes per pound, to as much as 2 1/2 hours per pound.....

Always go by temp, not by time. And always, alway, give yourself extra time.

Bill

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 am
Mr Vegas medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm talking myself out of doing 2 briskets and only doing 1. If hte briskets I can get are aroung 4# then maybe I'll try 2.

Thanks again for the advise! Will post pics after the weekend.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I wouldn't let this discourage you unless you absolutely just don't have the time.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:46 am
Mr Vegas medium-rare
medium-rare

Yeah you're right. Gonna still do 2 of them!

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

It's cheaper (fuel and timewise) to cook more than one at a time than it is to cook them 1 at a time. :wink:

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:14 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

If you got the room, go ahead and do 2 flats and a whole packer.... you will love them.

That way, you will have plenty of left overs for brisket sammies.... yummmmmyyy....

Br sure and use a catch pan for some drippings. Then mix the drippings with ketchup or bbq sauce for a dipping sauce... it is super... everyone loves it here.

Bill

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:43 pm
Mr Vegas medium-rare
medium-rare

Mrgrumpy the last time I did a brisket the drip pan seemed to have a lot of oil in it. So I didn't use the drippings, my bad.......I really didn't know what to do with the drippings and I thought since there was a lot of oil it might make the sauce too oily.

I will try your method this weekend. Thanks.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:31 pm
Def_Munky well done
well done

You might try pouring them in a bowl and skim the fat off after it rises to the top. You can even put it into the fridge/freezer while the briskets rest and the grease will solidify on the top making it easier to get. Then just warm it up and use it.
CG Super Pro w/o SFB

Next

Return to General Discussion