Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:47 pm
hawgpimp rare
rare

Smoked my first meat loaf today. 300 deg for 2.5 hrs with hickory chips/pellets. gonna have baked beans and chipotle mashed potatoes and take it all to work tomorrow for lunch
"Listen, I didn't get to where I am today, worrying what I was gonna feel like tomorrow" Ron White

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:04 am
KBHALE medium-well
medium-well

Whats your meatloaf recipe? New to smoken like to give it a try.
KBHALE

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:36 am
hawgpimp rare
rare

2# ground chuck
2# ground round
6 oz. croutons (finely ground)
1/2 c bell pepper (finely diced)
1/2 c onion (finely diced)
2 tbs. your favorite rub
1 large egg

combine all ingredients well, mold into large loaf pan, turn over and out of pan, sprinkle
generously with your favorite rub, place in smoker warmed to 300 deg. take to internal temp of 160 deg. At 145 deg, cover generously with Coca-Cola bbq sauce. I don't like
meat loaf and I'll eat this.
"Listen, I didn't get to where I am today, worrying what I was gonna feel like tomorrow" Ron White

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

hawgpimp you're right, meatloaf is way better when it's smoked. We did one last month and even though the hickory was a little heavy, the entire family liked it better.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I agree meat loaf is best when cooked on the grill or in a smoker. Here are some pix of a couple I did a while back:
In the smoker:
On the grill:

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z if I lived at your house I'd weight 300 pounds.
Your meals always look great.

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

My meatloaf was missing all those wonderful toppings. Z that looks great! Do they contribute to the flavor of the meat? Believe I'm goinna have to copy that. :wink:

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:24 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Z, that looks amazing. If I was a vegetarian, I'd be a convert right now. You should work for the beef industry. I have a good recipe from my Sicilian grandmother that she used for both meatballs and meatloaf and I definately will give that a try.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:25 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Scorched... can you post, or PM the meatball recipe? My family is all from northern european decent, and we don't have any good meatball recipes, and I would like to have a good one. :-)
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:31 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
I actually used to weigh close to 300 pounds………. :oops:
But I’ve controlled myself. :)

Bob,
The toppings do impart a lot of flavor to the meat, and they also protect the top of the meat from drying out. I also use the cooked the veggie to dress up a sandwich or just good mixed in with some rice.

Scorch,
I also grill my meatballs or smoke them, the turn out very good. Toss a rope of Italian sausage on the grill or smoker as well, and then top your Sunday pasta dinner with all that meat, and you’ll make your Sicilian relatives very happy ( I know I would be). :D

Rifter,
If you also want my recipe, I’d be glad to post it. Just don’t forget to add the pine nuts to them. Sicilian meatballs wouldn’t be complete without them.

Thank you guys for all the kind comments.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:40 pm
Rifter well done
well done

So, with this as inspiration, I am going to cook up some meatloaf and grilled corn tomorrow. :-) Already have the meatloaf made, and sitting in the fridge for tomorrow, and the wife is getting some corn today or tomorrow. :-) Should be really good.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:18 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Ok, quick question. I am planning on doing one of those "flat meatloaf" similiar to Z's. I like the idea of tomato on top, to help keep it moist, and will do that, too. How long would that take to do, on indirect? I have friends coming over tonight, and will be doing a 3# meatloaf (going to throw some bacon and tomato on top), plus grilled corn, plus some asiago cheese garlic bread. It should be a good, round meal. All the food groups except fruit in it too.. (Meat, Vegitable, Dairy, bread, and bacon). :-) Thanks for help!
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Kevin mine was round and flat like Z's but I didn't have any veggies on top. It took about 3 hours at 225*.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:47 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Rifter - I'll send you the meatball recipe if you want. I'm at work :cry: right now, but I should be able to get it to you tonight. Can't be responsible if it gives you the urge to smoke large cigars and drink grappa after dinner.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:55 pm
Rifter well done
well done

I was planning on doing indirect, so it won't take as long. :-) I will be busy tonight, and the BBQ is just part of the festivities. I will put a probe in, and play it by ear, I guess.

As for the recipe, any time I can get it, would be good. I have one I have used, that is ok, but there is a resturant near here, that makes amazing meatballs, and I keep looking for something like that.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Next

Return to General Discussion