Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Alabama BBQ

Alabama BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:22 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

We hit Lawler's in Decatur(?) on one of our trips last July and I didn't much for it. I didn't see or smell smoke anywhere, then when the meat needed sauce, I didn't like the sauce. I was disappointed to say the least.

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:37 pm
bonz50 medium-rare
medium-rare

never been to dreamland, but my fav in the area is the Green Top north and west of birmingham... i think the town is Dora, but not 100% sure... whenever we fly down to visit my folks i always make them stop by GreenTop on the way home... yum!!
________
Self-funded health care forum
Last edited by bonz50 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:11 pm
gri5thj raw
raw

Does anyone remember at joint in Tuscalossa near the main campus for UA back in the early 60's? The owner was a gentleman named Rudy Sturm. Rudy was a dear friend of my familiy and I am trying to get the name of the place. I was just a child when he sold it around 1969-70 and I was trying to find out the name. Rudy and his wife Martha have both passed away and I have very fond memories of time spent there.

Oh, and the food was great, too!

Thanks if you can help.

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:05 am

Dreamland is THE barbecue spot in Huntsville. You can smell the hickory for miles.

Lawler's isn't bad, if you prefer barbecue without an overpowering effect.

Between Athens and Madison is a place called Thompson's which is absolutely excellent. Good luck trying to get take-out on a Friday night from there....bring a book, you'll be waiting in line for awhile.
Char-Griller SuperPro w/Smoker Box
Coleman Fire/Ice portable gas grill

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:33 pm
MsprinM rare
rare

Last week ,at a poker game, the owner of Tin Roof BBQ in Birmingham brought in some pulled pork, chopped chicken and various sides for the meal that is served at the games. He had both red and white sauces on the side. Red sauce was very nice and seemed to have a nice kick to it without being hot. White sauce was not to heavy with the mayo. All in all two thumbs up.
I have been meaning to go in there since it is about two miles from my house. Just never seem to get around to it. I will be making time from now on. Probably will go for dinner tonight.

http://www.birminghammenus.com/tinroofbbq/

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint