Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Venison Temp

Venison Temp

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:39 pm
Truckman medium
medium

We're cooking a venison hind quarter roast at work tonight, and was wondering what's a good temp to where it's medium to medium-well, but not so much that it gets dried out. Also, this will be cooked on a cheap two burner gasser, better to go direct with frequent flipping (like doing a top round) or do it indirectly?
NEW 6/07: Weber Smokey Mountain
Brinkmann Dual Zone
Weber 22½" Kettle

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:44 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Funny you should ask. I was asked to throw one on last night along with all of the other meats we were doing. I have not smoked one before, so it was a trial run for me as well.

To make a story short, cook it like you would beef. After cooking it, place it in some foil and spray it down with apple juice real good and wrap it tight.... place in a cooler wrapped in several layers of towels to rest for a while before peaking....

If you have a 2 burner, use one burner for the heat, and place it on the other side, more indirect. That will help from drying it out....

Bill

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:02 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Bill, knowing how lean venison is, did you use anything such as bacon to keep it from drying out? Would you say it's better to grill indirect or smoke low & slow?
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:14 pm
Truckman medium
medium

Not gonna be able to smoke it, so indirect it is. I've often heard of wrapping in bacon or something too. We're actually cooking it for bul-gogi, a Korean dish, so I'm not going to be able to spray it down with apple juice. I've never had it before, but my driver has. He's the one cooking it. It has to marinade over night, and he wasn't able to get it marinating until this morning, so we had to push it off until tomorrow night. Besides, the chief brought in dinner tonight; an unexpected treat.

Thanks for the tips, but I still need to ask, what's a good temp to cook it to?
Brinkmann Dual Zone
Weber 22½" Kettle

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:59 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry to hear that you've had to resort to a driver! :lol:

You really should cut back a bit on the hooch! :P
(Sorry, It just blurted out. :oops: )

It may be too late but, since venison is so lean, I'd pull it at 140* and either wrap in foil or HD plastic to finish to 145-155* in a warm oven
or a pre heated cooler.

Venison bul-gogi sounds REALLY interesting!!

I'd love to know how it turns out!!

Let us know!

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:19 am
Truckman medium
medium

lol...that was Saturday night, but luckily I was only a few houses down at a neighbors and could sumble home! :wink: No, it's not too late, we're going to do it tonight for dinner. It's been marinating since Sunday late am. I'll let you know how it comes out. I'll try to remember to bring my camera in for some food pr0n.
Brinkmann Dual Zone
Weber 22½" Kettle

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 pm
skizriz medium-rare
medium-rare

Please post some results when finished. I have been thinking on doing some deer meat, but am in a debate as to how to do it.

My thinking is indirect as there isn't much fat to render out, the meat would dry out if cooked too long.

Steve
CG SuperPro / SFB

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:58 pm
Truckman medium
medium

Well, we cooked the venison bul-gogi tonight. It turned out very well, although it wasn't cooked the way I was expecting. The guy doing the marinating decided to cut the roast into small pieces before marinating. I was expecting for him to marinate the whole roast, and we'd cut it up after cooking. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get home, I can't download them here at work. I would cook it like this again, in a heartbeat. It was awesome. Here's the recipe:

4 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp white sugar (or honey)
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 green onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tsp minced ginger (optional) - I believe he did use it
1 Tbsp sherry (optional) - I don't think he used it
Dash of pepper (or cayenne if you like it spicy) - he used cayenne
Marinate overnight
Brinkmann Dual Zone
Weber 22½" Kettle

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Truckman bulgogi is usually sliced thin and then marinated (at least in my experience). But then I've only made it a couple of times. :wink:

Take a look at Sharky's method: http://www.sharky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12 (he use to hang around here a few years ago).

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:34 pm
Truckman medium
medium

Sorry for the delay in the pics....I had to learn a new way to put the pics on, and I didn't have time to fuss with it until now....enjoy! Also, what you see is the first batch, essentially what we ended up with was twice what's in the pics here. I would highly HIGHLY recommend the recipe posted above...it turned out awesome!

Taken right out of the marinade and put right on grill
Cooking...lol
Getting there...
Done!
You've been served...
Brinkmann Dual Zone
Weber 22½" Kettle

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 am
Combustis Maximus well done
well done

Truckman, I bookmarked your recipe. I still have some venison in the freezer and my oldest daughter likes Asian cooking so that's a no-brainer!
We had bul-gogi in a Korean restaurant not too many weeks ago and I really enjoyed it so I'm eager to try this.

Return to General Discussion