Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion substitute non-alcoholic for beer can chicken

substitute non-alcoholic for beer can chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
alan b

Is there a good non-alcoholic substitute for beer to make beer can chicken?

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:11 pm

I would think one could use almost any liquid and spices. Try some cider vinegar with red rub spices or perhaps chicken broth. I bet a non-alcoholic beer would work just fine.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:16 pm
egkor rare
rare

Hi,

Do they still make non-alcoholic beer? I would not be afraid to use that.

Even if you use regular beer, doesn't the beer boil and the alcohol evaporate in the cooking process?

-egkor

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used both Coke and Dr. Pepper and had great results.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:26 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I've used various sodas and apple juice with great results but keep coming back to beer. But honestly, the alcohol burns off so it isn't an issue anymore than using alcoholic beverages to cook with anything else when cooked at a high enough temperature.

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:52 pm
lenpra raw
raw

Made one last night - filled an empty soda can with some club soda, orange juice, and cranberry juice (one-half can total). Pressed bottled chicken rub inside and outside of the chicken. Placed the chicken on the can. 325 degrees for 90 minutes. Wonderful crispy outside and juicy, tender meat. It was terrific!

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:43 pm
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

While the alcohol in the beer boils off, the flavor it leaves is fantastic. If you insist on non-alcoholic, you have O'Doul's, and if you can find it, Jet near beer. You can also use cola, root beer, ginger ale cider, orange juice, etc. Don't be afraid to experiment. I would highly recommend one of the holders, such as the Bayou Classic Chick Can. Beer can chicken is sometimes called Drunken Chicken, and I don't want falling Down Drunk Chicken :lol:

I fixed two Drunken Chickens recently for company, using Bud in the cans, and used a packet of BBQr's Delight Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 pellets, and they absolutely raved about the chicken. Even the white meat was tender and juicy, and rather than looking like it had shriveled, as I have seen with other methods, when I took them off the grill, it looked like the skins were about to split.

Yummmmmmmmmmm!!

Good eatin' and many BBQ's for you.

Fuzzy

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:35 pm
KCcue

My suggestion is to use a can filled half-way with a mixture of lime juice, white vinegar, sage, rosemary, black pepper, and red chilli flakes for some kick.
Then go ahead and drink the Beer because it seems almost a shame not to drink it!!!

Return to General Discussion