Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Blue Berry Crumble on the Char Griller

Blue Berry Crumble on the Char Griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 am

I was passed a recipe for Blue Berry Crumble from Big Frank...it was just in time to enjoy fresh blue berries from the local Farmer's Market...I changed the recipe to suit our tastes as well as what we had on hand...IMO, it was one of the best deserts I've ever had...the crumble trapped in a rich smokey flavor that words don't do justice for...the filling was just right - not too berryie and not too cakey..I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Blueberry Crumble
Method: indirect grilling
Serves 8

For the filling:
• 3 pints blueberries
• 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

For the crumble:
• 1 c. quick cooking oats
• 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
• 1 c. packed brown sugar
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/4 c. butter

You'll also need:
• an 8 by 10-inch foil pan
• spray oil
• 1 cup wood chips (preferably apple), soaked in water to cover for 1 hour, then drained

1. Pick through the blueberries, removing any stems, leaves, or bruised berries. Give them a light wash. Place the berries in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, flour, lemon zest, and lemon juice and gently toss to mix. Spoon the mixture into a foil pan you've lightly sprayed with spray oil.
2. Make the crumble. Place the oats, flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl, mix until you get a semi-even, lumpy consistency, squeeze a bit of lemon on top. Spoon the crumble mixture on top of the blueberries evenly. The crumble mix is a little crumble heavy – helps hold in the flavor.
3. Set up your grill for indirect grilling. If using a charcoal grill, preheat to medium-high, then toss the wood chips on the coals. Soaked apple is best, may consider throwing in a few soaked mesquite ships for some added flavor.
4. Place the crisp in the center of the grill away from the heat. Cook until the topping is browned and the blueberries are bubbling, about 40 minutes. Serve the crumble hot or warm-ideally with vanilla ice cream.

Note: for additional delicious variations on this crumble, you can replace half the blueberries (2 cups) with diced ripe peaches, apples, or blackberries.

a few selected photos taken before the camera was ditched for a bowl of crumble! :lol:

CG SP w/ SFB
Weber 24"

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Big Frank medium-well
medium-well

MMMmmm MMMMmmmmm Man that sure was good. I like living down the street from you............ :D
CG w/SFB
Brinkmann Backyard Combo
www.bigironbarbecue.com

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:21 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

I am not much of a blueberry person, but it sure looks great. My wife wants to know where here piece of the pie is? ? ? ? She loves blueberries, and not you have the idea in her head that I am having to make her one now..... thanks,

Bill

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:43 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Mike and Frank,

That is a Wonderful recipe! My wife and I were at Trader Joe's this morning and she held up a package of fresh blueberries and announced that I was fixing that "blue berry crumble" I told her about. I was already planning on firing up the Weber to cook some cedar planked salmon, so I figured why not?

I used your recipe just like you spelled it out and added a sprinkling of cinnamon on top. I used a couple of chunks of apple while cooking and everyone agrees that we need to fix this again sometime soon.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe and the pics. Here's how our blueberry crumble turned out.......

Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:52 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bill, I'm sorry to hear that! You just don't know what you're missing!

I have a really weak spot for fresh blueberries.

Warm cobbler with homemade ice cream, and I'm in Heaven!!!

Thanks for the pics!!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Bill, make two (or one half-n-half), one of which has your favorite filling.... There's no rule that says it has to be blueberries, mmmmmmmm, blueberries. :wink:

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm
Big Frank medium-well
medium-well

All I can say is peaches! ....or maybe apples.

MMMmmm MMMMmmmm MMMMmmmmm :wink:
CG w/SFB
Brinkmann Backyard Combo
www.bigironbarbecue.com

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:19 pm

Jimmy - Looks delicous!

Glad you all are enjoying the recipe...Just seeing those photos makes me think it is time to crumble again! I'm heading to the farmer's market in the morning to see about some fresh juicey peaches...and swap them for the blueberries....should be good!

Mike
CG SP w/ SFB
Weber 24"

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:31 pm
squashed possum well done
well done

looks awesome!!
Weber 22.5" Green One-Touch Gold
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 2002 Silver C Propane

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:35 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Mike,

The thought of some nice, fresh, and tart tasting peaches is really mouth watering. I don't know if I can find any like that this time of year, but rest assured, I'll give it a try some time. :lol:

Something tells me I'm going to find something to put in a pan and crumble again this coming weekend!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion