Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Homemade Pastrami: Pics & Method

Homemade Pastrami: Pics & Method

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:54 am
jamesstew well done
well done

Looks beautiful but are you sure that was a whole brisket? I couldn't see anything that looked like a point cut. Looked much better than the pastrami I tried to make though, you have inspired me to give it another go.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:59 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Yes, James, I am persuaded that was a whole brisket. Though it was a little on the light side compared with some other briskets, I did observe a distinct layer of fat that separated two different tissues with different grain patterns. And the small section, which was on the right side of the pic, was marbled with fat. Perhaps it did not appear so obvious as I tried to remove as much of the topside visible fat as I could.

Can you tell me more of what it was that you were not as pleased with yours as you wanted it to be? Did you use a dry rub cure or a wet brine? Any details? :)
Got beer???

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:13 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

beercuer - Wish me luck. Going to "shortcut" a little. Going to rub my brisket now and plan to cook on Monday. Hope it turns out good!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:41 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Actually brined my brisket last night - rinsed and changed my brine tonight - will let it brine now until Sunday night - rinse again - mix my pastrami rub and rub on Sunday night. Brisket is only a 4 1/2 lb.. flat so do not plan to put on the cooker until about noon on Monday Shortcutting the process due to time, but think I will be "good to go" by kickoff..
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:48 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Did not turn out to be pastrami - know it had to do with shortcutting on the prep time. Did end up with a good piece of well seasoned brisket.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:34 pm
btuckertx raw
raw

A couple of questions:

Did you separate the flat from the point? The pictures of the brisket with the rub on them looked like you didn't, but the pictures of the final result looked like you did.

You used a plastic roasting bag? I've been wanting to do a pastrami, but have always assumed you needed a traditional ceramic crock. Did you turn it from time to time, or turn the brisket so all of it soaked in the brine?

I'm definitely going to try this. Great post!!
Bill

Previous

Return to General Discussion