Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Any Que in Ohio?

Any Que in Ohio?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:38 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Angio333! :D

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:11 pm
GBitto rare
rare

I've been to Hickory several times. There's one in Reynoldsburg and Gahanna. There used to be one in Powell, but I don't know if there still open. http://www.TheHickoryHouse.com
Always been good.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 am
BigE medium
medium

There is a small shack on St Rt 207 past Deer Creek State Park, will be north of US 22 and on the west side of 207. They sale pulled pork...I have no idea how it is, they are only open weekends during the warmer months. Anymore the only time I'm over there is in winter to pursue waterfowl.

Just thought I' mention it here in case anyone is down that way. For those who don't know this is in Fayette/Pickaway counties.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:12 pm

Well, another trip to Ohio and another Q-joint tried.

This time I visited "City Barbeque" in Gahanna (first exit from the Columbus airport).

I got the "North Carolina Pulled Pork" sandwich - which didn't resemble NC Q much at all!!! Was supposed to come with vinegar sauce and cole slaw on it, but I sure couldn't taste any vinegar!! Large chunks of pulled pork with a heavy smoke flavor. Ends of the pulled pieces were charred and hard, but the insides of the pieces were very tender and good. Slaw was very chunky and without much dressing, but with pretty good taste. Baked beans had large hunks of beef brisket and were not bad. Beef brisket had good flavor, but ends were charred too, and hard. Really good sweet tea.

I'm from NC and expected something resembling NC Q - as advertised.
Was disappointed, but flew back down here and have had some good stuff again!

"City" is not bad, but don't get too excited thinking that you will get "NC Pulled Pork" - it's NOT!!! I"ve tried and rated over 150 Q-joints in North Carolina, so I know what NC Q tastes like!

Post Thu May 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Try R-Ribs in Euclid OH (which is an inner ring subburb off of the 1-90 freeway and a 1/2 hr from my home.) He cooks it over hardwood lump charcoal inside where you can see it. The ribs are consistently good. The flavor is in the meat not in the sauce (a huge pet peeve of mine). He also make a mean pork chop sandwich using only the best selection of center-cut chops. The only ribs other than my own and a rare Famous Dave's visit 1/2 hr in the other direction from my home that I eat.

NOTE: I am not a family member, owner or close personal friend. I am one of many loyal customers who he has a picture on the wall in the full size photo collages that decorate his free standing mainly take-out mainly restaurant. A white man in a black neighborhood who BBQ's better than anyone I've EVER known. My goal is to one day be able to capture the flavors and seasonings he uses on his meat. I've asked for them but he will not disclose them to me.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:10 pm
frenchie medium
medium

If you are ever in the Cincinnati Area, try Walt's Barbecue on Colerain Avenue (US-27). Their family combo meals are a great deal, and Walt makes some of the best BBQ i have tasted.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board frenchie! :D

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 pm
Angio333 rare
rare

Bubba's Q in Avon

http://www.bubbasq.com
- C

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Okay, just got back from Ohio again and of course I tried another Q-joint while there. This one was in Galipolis (right on the Ohio river where Route 35 runs from near Charleston, WV over to Dayton).

The "River City Smokehouse" had a lunch special that consisted of a BBQ pork sandwich with fries and another side item along with a drink for $5.95. I couldn't taste the pork because of all the thick red sauce that was drenched all over everything! I don't even know why they put pork on the bun - all it was for was to give the sauce something to stick to! At least the sauce had a fairly pleasant flavor - slightly sweet with just a wee bit of twang to it. The fries were okay and the baked beans were flavorful but watery. The sweet tea was the best part of the meal!!!

Got back to NC and had myself some really good Q!

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint